5 hens - 2 have been laying for 2 weeks, what about the rest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2dogs1cat, Aug 6, 2010.

1. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Has you ever had your hens been spaced out when it comes to starting to lay? My EE and SS started 2 weeks ago and lay every other day. The BA and BOs haven't done squat...heck, they don't even squat *lol* I would that that once one got going that the others would follow suit sooner than later. The BA developed first out of all of them. I'm so perplexed.

And hubby joked about a 12 egg omelet...I now have 12 so he gets one for breakfast - though it will be more like a 6 egger [​IMG]

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Not unusual to have same breed/same age chickens start laying weeks apart.....My 1st GLW started 8 or 10 weeks before the last of the 3....And it was 4 weeks between #1 and #2 of the Wyandottes [​IMG]

3. keeko

keeko Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Same here. My RIR is a rock star. Laying like a champ. One Barred Rock is starting up now, 3 weeks later, but the other shows no signs. The Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps look like they'll never lay!!! LOL I think it's a breed thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by