5 hours old Silkie Chick HELP LEGS Problem

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Already lost 2 newly hatched babies during night...hate to lose this last one!
Here's video clip....any ideas?!
It hatched at 1:30pm or so today so only few hours old.
The 2 i lost during the night were born at 12:30am and i thpught they looked weak but figured it was due to lengthy hatch. At 5 am they were dead and stiff.

Do you have Poultry NutriDrench that you can give the chick orally for a quick boost? Water with 1 tsp of sugar water can be helpful. Dip the beak and let it swallow. Is that an incubator the chick is in? Do you have a brooder ready with a heat lamp? Are they standard size chicks or bantams?

Do you have Poultry NutriDrench that you can give the chick orally for a quick boost? Water with 1 tsp of sugar water can be helpful. Dip the beak and let it swallow. Is that an incubator the chick is in? Do you have a brooder ready with a heat lamp? Are they standard size chicks or bantams?
Bantam silkie
Yes in incubator to dry as just hatched and had lengthy hatch.
I have 4 others that hatched yesterday and are in brooder...one has leg problems too - see below.

I gave it a drop of nutridrench at around 3:30 ...it maybe a tiny bit perkier...perking... still sitting on bottom and doin legs like in video.

I also have this one that is same hatch but 24 hours old and has leg problems as well!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/1-day-old-chick-leg-problems.1513206/

Last edited:
Here's the 24 hour old bantam silkie same hatch as one above but less difficult hatch.
Does not walk normal at all...hobbles and has right leg out to the side. Doesn't seem in pain.
I'm giving it nutridrench and vitamin b.

Back
Top Bottom