5 month old Buff Orpington... Roo or Hen?

amsmith5297

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Northeast CT
Hello everyone! I'm new to this whole chicken thing. I bought 6 birds from TSC that were all in the same bin and labelled as Srtaight Run Golden Comets. When they started to get their big bird feathers I noticed they were not all Golden Comets, but rather 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Golden Comet ( possible bantam cross). My Comets are now laying eggs and 2 of the Buff Orpingtons are crowing... The question lies with this remaining Buff who's name is Song Bird because of the way she/he sings. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with sexing this one...

Roo or Hen and why?

That's a rooster.

1. HUGE comb/wattles.
2. Pointed saddle feathers in front of tail.

No question about it.

I see another rooster to the right (just head). The buff in the middle though.. that looks like a hen (or is that a golden comet?).

The one on the left is a definite rooster. The hackle, saddle and massive tail (sickle) feathers are a dead giveaway. Plus the comb and wattles are enormous! He is a very handsome boy though.

The one on the far right I suspect is also a rooster, going by the comb and wattle size again.

How disappointing for you to get so many roosters in the one batch. What are your plans for how you are going to cope with them all?

Maybe you should get a heap more hens
wink.png

- Krista

Maybe you should get a heap more hens
wink.png

- Krista
X2 on that; and get rid of one of the two roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters will over-breed the hens, biting and plucking feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially even serious injuring them.

I'm working on re-homing 2 of the 3 roosters. I've placed an ad on one of the local webpages and I've been asking everyone I know that has chickens if they'd be willing to take one or both of them. I'd like to see them go to a good home. They are very sweet boys, love to sit in my lap and be pet. I would much rather someone take them and care for them rather than eat them.
hmm.png

I'm working on re-homing 2 of the 3 roosters. I've placed an ad on one of the local webpages and I've been asking everyone I know that has chickens if they'd be willing to take one or both of them. I'd like to see them go to a good home. They are very sweet boys, love to sit in my lap and be pet. I would much rather someone take them and care for them rather than eat them.
hmm.png

I can certainly understand that. I re-homed plenty of roosters in the past because I didn't want to kill and eat them.

Back
Top Bottom