5-Month Old Turkey laying soft eggs

Worriedturkeymum

Hatching
Oct 6, 2021
I have two Turkeys that are 5 months old. Last week the female started laying and they are soft shells and this has caused her to prolapse. I am taking care of the prolapsed vent and she seems to be getting better in that area but then last night she laid two more soft shell eggs making a total of 5 now. We have her on Purina Layena omega 3 feed but this is obviously not enough. While trying to discourage the laying by isolating her in a dark quiet space and nursing her vent I obviously want to get her on the correct food and/or vitamins to prevent this from happening in the future. I will welcome any advice on how to improve her situation. My other Turkey is a Tom and VERY protective of her and usually, they are together ALL of the time. Thank you!!!

F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Get some of this. It's a very high source of calcium and is digested quickest of all types of calcium (there are three). Use it until the eggs are coming out with normal shells. Then oyster shell is good for calcium maintenance.

In the event your hen gets bound up, one of these tablets can encourage contractions to get it expelled. This calcium is a vital addition to any poultry first aid kit. Everyone should have a bottle in their coop.

Back
Top Bottom