5 roosters out of 7...now what?

Quote:
Just because they're bantams doesn't mean they're no good to eat. I'm not sure if this is what the OP had in mind, but it's a perfectly legitimate option. And while I'm on the subject, I know a lot of people always say they "would dream of it" or that they're "not ready" for that process or whatever, but incorporating the occasional home slaughter into your lifestyle is really not a big deal on this kind of scale and doesn't preclude having a loving relationship with your birds. Also, it is a good lesson for families about where food comes from, and it really makes these kind of situations a heck of a lot simpler to deal with, and more pragmatic, in terms of rewards for your efforts, as opposed to trying to rehome or give away the extra cockerels. Raising chickens for eggs, with the occasional meat as well as a by-product, just makes so much more sense to me than single-purpose flocks... So much more for your time and money...

I'm there too. We have watched several good videos on butchering your own birds humanely and efficiently. Makes me think of "WHY" people used to have uses for every last bit of a chicken, perhaps because its truly a shame to put any of the birds' life to waste! Sometimes there's no better place for an unwanted teenroo than in a homemade with love dinner.

Well I just had to make a choice a few days ago. I had 3 roos and 2 that get along and one they would fight with. Unfortunately the smaller of the 3 didn't make the cut. I told my better half we would just give him away and she said no lol. So I went to the Meat Bird section picked a tutorial and I had chicken and dumplins last night and green chillies chicken enchilada tonight.

SO it's a matter of what you choose to do. If you don't think you can do it rehome. BTW this was a bantam mix.

6chickens in St. Charles :

I'm there too. We have watched several good videos on butchering your own birds humanely and efficiently. Makes me think of "WHY" people used to have uses for every last bit of a chicken, perhaps because its truly a shame to put any of the birds' life to waste! Sometimes there's no better place for an unwanted teenroo than in a homemade with love dinner.

Beautifully said...
thumbsup.gif

Bantam Roo's... Isn't that where all these restaurants get wing dings? I think Dairy Queen purchases the breast meat for their chicken tenders.

Our local feedstore let's you put up posts to try and get rid of unwanted roos. They said someone is "always looking" and you never know. I did end up with a roo (he's now called Bruce) and we're going to keep him. We have an 11 to 1 ratio, so we should be good.
smile.png

But seriously, we were considering posting for him to find a new home but he's actually a pretty cool roo, so we decided to keep him.

Some people... myself included... have trouble processing ANYTHING let alone my birds. I have put out "feelers" to get someone to process them for halves or payment - mainly because although I agree that my flock and obsession with hatching needs to have dual purpose. With that being said - I totally understand those who have trouble processing their own birds and applaud those that can -- if you lived closer to me.. I would be asking for your help.

Shelly

you aren't going to believe this...my kids heard one of my standard "hens" crow. what luck.
he.gif
now it looks like 6 of my 14 may be roos. i noticed the more aggressive behavior a while ago but i think i was in denial since she/he wasn't from a straight run. are wyndotte roos particularly aggressive? now i am upset that almost half my flock may need to go, i really think i should keep just one. i adore my 3 oegb roos tho. i am not ready to slaughter, i am still a new to all of this.

Back
Top Bottom