5 Roosters, who has to go?

Welcome to BYC!
How old are they? If they are still young, then it might take a while for their temperaments to settle down, and you don't want to keep one which is going to be attacking you or anyone.
Its totally fine to not want to eat them, (I know my own limitations) but if you give them away you need to understand that they may get eaten by someone else.
They are 6 months old. Is this young for chickens? I am fine with others eating them as long as I'm not around!

Welcome to BYC. Is it possible for you to house them separately from your hens. If not, then you may need to explain to your daughter that keeping too many roosters may injure your pullets.
If we keep them separate won't the boys fight each other then? Do you let 1 at a time to mix with the hens? They are free range at the moment.

She knows about keeping too many and our safety. She just is attached to ones that may need to go.

They are 6 months old. Is this young for chickens? I am fine with others eating them as long as I'm not around!
That is just the age when any problems should become apparent.
Have any of them done any pecking at the ground next to you, or trying to dance around you with one wing? If so, they should be the first to go.
I would try putting up an add, and see if anyone is interested.

That is just the age when any problems should become apparent.
Have any of them done any pecking at the ground next to you, or trying to dance around you with one wing? If so, they should be the first to go.
I would try putting up an add, and see if anyone is interested.
Actually 1 was doing a 1 wing dance today and I thought something was wrong with him. What does it mean?

They are doing both. Fighting between roosters, mating right after one another. We are working on getting more hens!
All joking aside, you should move those hens now. That’s not good for them to have 5 Roos for 3 hens mating. Think about those poor ladies.

Evict those boys tomorrow morning. Your hens will thank you.

If we keep them separate won't the boys fight each other then? Do you let 1 at a time to mix with the hens? They are free range at the moment.

She knows about keeping too many and our safety. She just is attached to ones that may need to go.
They may or may not fight, but they definitely will begin fighting if they are housed with the females.
Some cockerels can get along well with others that they are raised with. Some cannot. Maturity is slower for some. I'd separate them as soon as possible. You shouldn't rotate them with the hens. Once they mature, you can decide which, if any, you want to keep, and whether you want one with your pullets.

Back
Top Bottom