5 Silkie hens need new home in SF Bay Area

linta325

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
San Leandro, CA
I have five ~1 year old Silkie hens that I need to rehome. Three are black, one salt & pepper colored (blue), and one brown (partridge). They are friendly hens, but have a bit of a squawking temperament at times (probably aren't purebred, since the ends of their wings are not fluffy, but normal looking feathers). They'd do better with a family with a rather large yard, so that their occasional calling does not bother neighbors. I would prefer they all go to one home as pets, but can be separated if that means they each get good homes (non-slaughtering preferred).

Below is an image including the frontal views of 3 of the hens, and one hen butt. The brown one is currently brooding in the coop, so I could not get a good picture. I got these hens as day old chicks from an online hatchery, and have raised them myself for over a year. They've been given free roam of the backyard the past half a year, so have been laying rich, organic eggs (when they aren't broody).

I am in the San Francisco bay area in California, so if you are nearby and interested in some pet Silkies, let me know.

May I ask why you have to give them up? I may be interested, as I have 1 -2yr old silkie in need of some coop mates. I am also in the SF Bay Area.
Will you also be giving /selling your coop- if so what size is it and can you provide pics.

Thank you for your message, ChicknGal. The main reason behind my need to re-home the hens are that they have been honking like geese in the early morning, which has annoyed my husband to no end. He's also worried they are bothering the neighbors. If we lived on a farm with more yard space, it probably wouldn't matter too much. The rest of the day, they are usually not as loud (occasional squawking, announcing that they are about to, or have laid an egg usually). With 5 hens, once one starts squawking, the rest chime in, which results in a very unpleasant chorus. Someone else had mentioned that their Silkies, not being able to see, are very quiet. My hen are likely not purebred and whatever other breed is in them is vocal. They are still my babies, and it breaks my heart to have to re-home them (maybe I can still keep a couple if fewer hens means less noise).

I have several people expressing interest, so please allow me to ask you some questions.

Are you interested in the entire flock, or just 1 or 2 hens? May I ask how you house your current hen, and whether she gets to free range? I am in San Leandro, may I ask where you are located? What is the temperament of your current hen and does she have the usual Silkie puff of feathers that obscures her view? If so, I could recommend my brown hen as a friend, since she has the same obscured view (when clean; rummaging around the yard has slicked her feathers back and she currently has clear sight of all things around her), and she is also lowest on the pecking order in my yard, so may be a little less bossy. Do you need the hen to be able to lay eggs? After a short, what seemed like illness, early on in the year, the brown hen has not laid any eggs. She has gone broody for the first time ever over the past couple weeks, so maybe she'll be able to resume laying after she snaps out of it.

My dad had built me a coop similar to that which is linked below, so unless you have access to a crane and large truck bed, I don't think you'd be able to take the coop from my yard. What you see in the original picture is the run of the coop, and you can see the ramp heading up into the coop. Unless I am able to re-home all 5 hens, the coop will need to stay put.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop

Please let me know if you have any questions, and we can figure out if any of my hens would make a good friend for your Silkie.

Back
Top Bottom