5 week blue laced red wyandotte (splash) gender guess

I raise BLRWs, this is definitely a cockerel.....but keep in mind Wyandottes should not have a single comb and this male does.  No big deal for a backyard flock, but if you are trying to breed to the Wyandotte standard, you want rose combs

Nice yella legs on that boy though!!
What is your opinion on the 5 week old, too soon?

6 weeks and (hopefully) a better view of her comb.
Looks like a girl.... my method of sexing (old wives tale I heard of a few years back... I've only been wrong twice) its harder to confirm in the older chicks like yours my method is suppose to be for 3 days and younger. but you can try it if you are so inclined... place her on her back hold her that way until she calms down a bit.. if she stays that way for more than a few seconds she is definitely a she... if not its a roo. If unsure, repeat

It is a little soon to tell.....do you have any close up pix of the feathers around the neck?  A good pix of the tail?

Mine take FOREVER to mature.  They are beautiful and make great broody mothers....just had a late broody hatch a week ago this past Friday

Post those pix if you have them
Ok I took a few, hopefully they are clear enough!

Looks like a girl.... my method of sexing (old wives tale I heard of a few years back... I've only been wrong twice) its harder to confirm in the older chicks like yours my method is suppose to be for 3 days and younger. but you can try it if you are so inclined... place her on her back hold her that way until she calms down a bit.. if she stays that way for more than a few seconds she is definitely a she... if not its a roo. If unsure, repeat
I don't know if that would work, most chicks relax because flipping them upside down makes it harder for them to breath, and if you do it for too long it could affect their health. I've done it with my chicks before when they were around 8-10 weeks old I didn't do it when they were a few days old though (all were pullets), most relaxed only for a few seconds then struggled to get off.

Last edited:
Looks like a girl.... my method of sexing (old wives tale I heard of a few years back... I've only been wrong twice) its harder to confirm in the older chicks like yours my method is suppose to be for  3 days and younger. but you can try it if you are so inclined... place her on her back hold her that way until she calms down a bit.. if she stays that way for more than a few seconds she is definitely a she... if not its a roo. If unsure, repeat
Ha I did that when I brought them home (around) 4 days old. All tested pullet except maran, but maran is really looking female so far! Really hard to take pics because she is so dark!

Ok I took a few, hopefully they are clear enough!
Feathers in neck area that I can see appear "rounded" and not "pointy". I'm guessing pullet......only thing throwing me is I DO see large feet for the size of the bird in one pix. Tails in males come in EVER so slowly....I'm seeing more tails at 5 weeks than I typically see on a male

If I were betting I'd say 75% certainty of pullets

I raise BLRWs, this is definitely a cockerel.....but keep in mind Wyandottes should not have a single comb and this male does.  No big deal for a backyard flock, but if you are trying to breed to the Wyandotte standard, you want rose combs

Nice yella legs on that boy though!!
I won't be breeding him. He will be "rehomed" no roosters allowed where I live. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom