5 week chick suddenly plucking others

roheryn

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Northern CA
I have 6 chicks, 5 and 6 weeks old. The 5 week old are d’uccle, the 6 week are ayam cemani, Silkie and marans. They have been raised together in a double dog crate peacefully. This past week we have been transitioning them outside in a very large wire dog crate. Yesterday we let them out into the large run for a few hours, then put them back onto the kennel for a few hours when we had to leave. When we came back and opened up the kennel so they would have free access, we noticed the white Silkie had red in places. Feathers had been plucked! We kept an eye on all of them to see if that one was being ganged up on, but it appears that the tiny d’uccle pullet is the culprit. She is pulling everyone’s feathers! I put her insured and she just screamed for half hour. Now I’m holding her and she is calmer, but this can’t go on! They have lots of space and lots of toys. Is it the change of scenery that’s causing trouble? What should I do? Never had this happen in the 7 batches I’ve raised 😱

I have 6 chicks, 5 and 6 weeks old. The 5 week old are d’uccle, the 6 week are ayam cemani, Silkie and marans. They have been raised together in a double dog crate peacefully. This past week we have been transitioning them outside in a very large wire dog crate. Yesterday we let them out into the large run for a few hours, then put them back onto the kennel for a few hours when we had to leave. When we came back and opened up the kennel so they would have free access, we noticed the white Silkie had red in places. Feathers had been plucked! We kept an eye on all of them to see if that one was being ganged up on, but it appears that the tiny d’uccle pullet is the culprit. She is pulling everyone’s feathers! I put her insured and she just screamed for half hour. Now I’m holding her and she is calmer, but this can’t go on! They have lots of space and lots of toys. Is it the change of scenery that’s causing trouble? What should I do? Never had this happen in the 7 batches I’ve raised 😱
Give her a buddy and separate them, but maybe be able to see the other chicks. Ours get lonely too. It's awful.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom