5 Week Old Australorp-pullet or cockerel?

jspariola

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Naperville, Illinois
Hello, everyone! I recently purchased 5 day-old chicks--supposedly all female. Among them is this little Australorp. I've had chickens before and just can't shake the feeling that she might be a he. S/he is stronger and a little bit bigger than the others (two Orpingtons and two Wyandottes), and her/his body shape just looks "rooster" to me.) Can anyone help me determine if she is, in fact, a cockerel? (I now live in the city and am not allowed to have roosters here.) Thanks very much!

IMG_6349.jpeg IMG_6352.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6355.jpeg
    IMG_6355.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 42
Thanks very much for the helpful input! I keep getting mixed signals from this little one. Some days I'm sure it's a cockerel; other days, I'm convinced it's a pullet. (Maybe it's trans! LOL.) Will send more pictures later.

Is.that an australorp? That seems like a lot of white.

If it is an australorp then it's a pullet. Males are very evident by now.
I agree, this might NOT be an Australorp at all. It has FAR too much white on the face and tips of feathers plus the Beak is yellow not Black. I say no to Australorp but Yes to Pullet. All the feathers are rounded at the ends

Ugh. If it's not an Australorp, do you have any idea what it might be? A mixed breed maybe? Thanks for the input!
Hard to say, you're going to have to wait till fully feathered out.
I'll see if I remember to post pics of my Australorps that are 1 month and 2 are 6 weeks. They all look about the same but none have white tipped feathers other then on the wing tips.

Ok this is not the greatest shot and it's off my security camera of the chicks.
This one is 7 weeks and only 1 other that is 5 weeks has just a tad more white but not on the neck area.
BTW you should be seeing a Green Sheen to the feathers in the sunlight.

thumbnail.jpeg-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom