5 week old Cayuga losing feathers and trouble walking

ngasmallfarm

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Hello, I have a group of Cayugas that are 5 weeks old. I noticed one duck has progressively lost all the feathers on its back between the wings and on the tips of the wings. It's entire back is bare and has developed some sores. Also, it has extreme trouble walking now. I separated it from the rest of the flock, provide water with antibiotic and sprayed back with blue coat. Does anyone know what is wrong with the duck?

I don't know about ducks, but my geese have had this: the other babies were chewing on his baby fuzz. I gave them some greens to chew on (grass, lettuce, weeds, etc.), and no more problem.

Sounds like he's being picked on. You're doing all the right things--separating him from the others is a good step. Are they getting enough protein? Sometimes feather eating is a result of not enough protein. What are they eating, and how are they kept? Are they free range part of the day? Eating chicken feed? What kind? The answers to those questions may help someone to help you. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom