5 week old chick sick

GuloGal

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
East Kootenays
I have 7 chicks, 5 weeks old all living outside in a coop/run. They've been in the outdoor coop with a heat lamp since they were 3 weeks old, and only in the past week have they been spending time outside in the run as its been a cold spring here. Yesterday afternoon one of the boys looked super poorly suddenly, just sitting on the ground with his eyes closed, fluffed up, panting. The others were avoiding him, and were behaving normally.

I never found any evidence of diarrhea or bloody stool. We separated him and he hasn't pooped at all since, but I expect he's been off his feed for about 24 hours now. This morning the others still seem fine.

I am going to treat them all for coccidosis regardless, but is it common for that to be the cause without any evidence of abnormal stool? What else could it be?

Chicks with coccidiosis may or may not have blood in poops, but they usually have runny poops with mucus. They act lethargic, stand puffed up or hunched, and do not feel like eating. I would give him some electrolyte water orally. If you start Corid for coccidiosis do not give him any thiamine or vitamin B 1. Corid dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make sure that he is drinking, and you can dip his beak into it.

Thanks. I put the others on treatment just in case, but the little guy started gargling up brown stuff and we euthanized him. More likely a crop obstruction I'm guessing.

Back
Top Bottom