5 week old chick terrified of me

azygous has given great advice here on effective handling of both adults and chicks. Another thing to remember is they go very docile at night so make a point to hold them as they're going to roost. I won over my Hamburg (a notoriously skittish breed) pullet by doing just that and now she'll leave the flock to follow me, especially when I'm digging in the gardens. I also have an Olive Egger who would scream bloody murder any time I'd handle her when she was really small and not only will she too follow me everywhere now but she also likes to nap on my lap.

There is hope so have patience and be consistent. Though you may not end up with a flock of lap-loving chickens, they'll eventually see that you're not someone they should fear especially when you're handing out treats.

Last edited:
My chicks just hatched yesterday sadly one died so I only have one now. My girl comes running up to my hands it so cute! I love it. But making a broiler door on the side and giving treats seems like a good idea.

you should really get at least one more. chickens are flock animals and they don't do as well alone.

People hardly ever make the connection between swooping down on a chick or adult chicken to try to catch it. Their main predators are from the sky overhead, so you trigger a very primal reflex when you approach them this way.

I already explained how to handle baby chicks. The same goes for the adults. I get down on my knees, a treat in hand for the ones who detest being touched, and slowly crawl forward. The chicken will either stand perfectly still or will come to see what the treat is and when they take it from my hand I grab them.

People waste so much energy chasing chickens and it's completely unnecessary and unproductive.
I tried the brooder on the table this year, and along with a plate warmer instead of a light, these are the calmest chicks I have ever raised. I have since raised all of my outdoor brooders 3 feet off the ground, and built side access doors if they didn't already have them. The difference between this year's chicks and all of the previous years is incredible. Instead of running from me, several will stand to be petted, and a few will step onto my hand

Thanks very much for all your help and interesting feedback, I will try these techniques and hopefully she'll begin to warm up to us.
:)

Azygous, I really like your approach! At the moment, I'm brooding chicks in plastic storage tubs on the floor of my "chick room"; however, I am eager to implement your suggestions on the elevated side-access brooder, which I believe is the ideal setup.

In the meantime, what I do is approach slowly, speaking softly, then sit down on the floor and place my hand on the side of the brooder for a little bit before VERY slowly lowering it along the inside, away from as many of the chicks as possible. I oftentimes have treats in my hand, but other times, I gently stroke them when they come over to investigate. For one-on-one time, I lift them from underneath because it doesn't upset them nearly as much as being grabbed from above, if at all. I slowly raise them to eye level so we can talk and make eye contact. In a nutshell, I do my very best to be sensitive and respectful and treat them as I would like to be treated if I were a chick. The result is that almost all 16 of our 2-week old chicks immediately rush over to our hands, eagerly hop up, and flap-run up our arms to interact with us. It can be chaotic when a couple of them do it at the same time and a fight ensues!

Unfortunately, I've had some holdouts in each of my 3 broods, so I've reached the conclusion that in spite of the time and effort I put into socializing them, there will always be some that don't care too much for people. I just do the best I can and try not to take it personally. Each one is an individual, and as with people, some enjoy socializing whereas others prefer to be left alone.

When I moved them to the animal cage in the garage (galvanized 4x3 cage) and it has a side door. Huge difference. Now, when I open the door, two of the four jump out on try to land on my lap! Treats are good too. I try to only give it every othe day and only once and a small amount. I use dried meal worms they go bonkers. I started out picking them up and letting them eat the treat out of my hand. Now I have a certain call I'll do that means " treats!" That they recognize. I also started letting them in the coop outside and opened up the bottom run only durning the warm day(it's small only a 5x4 run, they are going to get a larger area later) and I'll call them up to the coop part and give treats. This way, they will go to the coop when I call in the evenings for their treat, then bed time :) when they are free ranging of course. Patience and show lots of love. Petting them under their chest and not on the top ofthe body too. They let me give them little rubs on the chest.

When I moved them to the animal cage in the garage (galvanized 4x3 cage) and it has a side door. Huge difference. Now, when I open the door, two of the four jump out on try to land on my lap! Treats are good too. I try to only give it every othe day and only once and a small amount. I use dried meal worms they go bonkers. I started out picking them up and letting them eat the treat out of my hand. Now I have a certain call I'll do that means " treats!" That they recognize. I also started letting them in the coop outside and opened up the bottom run only durning the warm day(it's small only a 5x4 run, they are going to get a larger area later) and I'll call them up to the coop part and give treats. This way, they will go to the coop when I call in the evenings for their treat, then bed time
smile.png
when they are free ranging of course. Patience and show lots of love. Petting them under their chest and not on the top ofthe body too. They let me give them little rubs on the chest.
Yes to mealworms! I've found that my little ones like them better when I crunch them up first. The older ones and adults will take them any old way!

x2 to petting on the chest. That's what I do with my little ones, as well, and most of them push in for more. They seem to enjoy it! After trust has been established, I test the wings and back. If I sense that it's not appreciated, I immediately back off. Chicky3, just watch your chick's body language very closely as you handle and interact with her. She'll let you know what she does and doesn't like.

X3 on petting their chests and not their backs. Mine also seem to enjoy it under their beaks and around their faces after that trust has been earned.

Back
Top Bottom