5 Week Old Chick Trouble Walking

catwhee

In the Brooder
May 22, 2024
Arkansas
Hello! I have a 5 week old chick that has been fine up until yesterday when she suddenly started having trouble walking. I was gone all day and when I came home she was laying on her back. I went to pick her up and she got up and hopped away, but I could tell there was something wrong. This morning, same thing, she was on her back and seemed like she was struggling to try and get up. I have brought her inside and noticed her sitting with one let extended out and sometimes her toes will curl. I've read that this could possibly be a vitamin deficiency, but I wanted to get some insight here. Also, any supplement recommendations that I could pick up at Tractor Supply or somewhere local would be great. Thank you!

Hello! I have a 5 week old chick that has been fine up until yesterday when she suddenly started having trouble walking. I was gone all day and when I came home she was laying on her back. I went to pick her up and she got up and hopped away, but I could tell there was something wrong. This morning, same thing, she was on her back and seemed like she was struggling to try and get up. I have brought her inside and noticed her sitting with one let extended out and sometimes her toes will curl. I've read that this could possibly be a vitamin deficiency, but I wanted to get some insight here. Also, any supplement recommendations that I could pick up at Tractor Supply or somewhere local would be great. Thank you!
I would put some Poultry Cell in their water for a couple of days and see if that starts helping it. It may need more concentrated vitamin therapy but I'd start there.

As long as you're picking stuff up, the concentrated treatment would be a Vitamin E pill, scrambled eggs to help that, and a small portion of a B-complex vitamin.

I would put some Poultry Cell in their water for a couple of days and see if that starts helping it. It may need more concentrated vitamin therapy but I'd start there.

As long as you're picking stuff up, the concentrated treatment would be a Vitamin E pill, scrambled eggs to help that, and a small portion of a B-complex vitamin.
Thank you, Debbie! I will pick up some poultry cell today.

I’m adding a few photos.
IMG_8215.jpeg
IMG_8217.jpeg
IMG_8220.jpeg
IMG_8223.jpeg
IMG_8225.jpeg

That splayed position looks kinda like my chicken did when she had mareks. If you notice her she has a hard time eating and is getting lethargic, give her 1/4 tablet b complex and one vitamin e, like Debbie said. Check her tongue to see if it is black because that might be a riboflavin deficiency that sometimes causes similar symptoms. I really hope she’s okay. Sending love for your little girl.

That splayed position looks kinda like my chicken did when she had mareks. If you notice her she has a hard time eating and is getting lethargic, give her 1/4 tablet b complex and one vitamin e, like Debbie said. Check her tongue to see if it is black because that might be a riboflavin deficiency that sometimes causes similar symptoms. I really hope she’s okay. Sending love for your little girl.
Thank you! I really hope it's not mareks, but she does have similar symptoms 😢 I'm gonna try the vitamins and hope for the best!

Back
Top Bottom