5 week old chickens in or out

ababb

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
My chicks will leave the coop in the morning, but just stay in the run when the temp starts to drop. the food is in the coop, but they dont seem to know how to go back in on there own. Any suggestions?

There not cold. As long as they go in at night they are fine. If they are not going in at night put a light in the coop, they will go in. Shut em up and turn off the light.

Welcome to the BYC
welcome-byc.gif

First off are the chicks fully feathered? Have you had them outside all along under a light or inside under light? How cold is it where you live? Personally I think 5 weeks is pretty close to putting them out and in my basement after 3 almost 4 weeks I had enough of the dust and the poop and the smell. I say put them out as long as you think the are completely feathered. Mine were summer babies and I could put them out in 4 1/2 weeks but it was in the 50's not 20's. Good luck

If they've just been put out into the coop recently, it usually takes them a while to learn that the coop is "home." If your coop has enough space, you might leave them inside for 2-3 days so that they learn this is the safe place to be.
Also, you can try turning on a small wattage light before it starts getting dark. They might go in on their own if they see the safety of the light. But lots of folks have to put birds new to a coop inside by hand for a week or two (even grown chickens who are new to a coop). They will learn...

Back
Top Bottom