5 Week old chicks seem to be having trouble

scuppers

Hatching
Aug 7, 2021
Have had chickens for a few years without any issue. We have a group of chicks that came down with coccidiosis and all were treated with corid as directed.
I have found another chick dead in the box. 1 per day for the last 3 days while treating them. Never had to treat for this before. They had bloody stools and were acting lethargic. We began to treat them and they seem fine, eating and drinking and yet one has died again. I am concerned but maybe they were too young for the medicine to do the job? Anyone have any other suggestions about what else it could be? They are all moving around the pen and I cleaned the area again today. Any other suggestions?

Have had chickens for a few years without any issue. We have a group of chicks that came down with coccidiosis and all were treated with corid as directed.
I have found another chick dead in the box. 1 per day for the last 3 days while treating them. Never had to treat for this before. They had bloody stools and were acting lethargic. We began to treat them and they seem fine, eating and drinking and yet one has died again. I am concerned but maybe they were too young for the medicine to do the job? Anyone have any other suggestions about what else it could be? They are all moving around the pen and I cleaned the area again today. Any other suggestions?
What was the ratio of corid to water?

Welcome to BYC. Occasionally chicks are so debilitated by coccidiosis that they will die even after treatment.
Agreed
I also second the question @cherrynberry posed. And how long did you treat? Did you also drench them?

Welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

990E7CB7-6E87-4E01-BD2F-D802ADF2653B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom