5 Week-Old duckling woke up with Paralysis

Hello!

Ok, so, the duckling that was really bad yesterday woke up better today. He's now able to move his neck and tail, and he can clean himself up (he couldn't do this yesterday). His appetite also improved. The problem now is that my second duckling seems a bit 'unbalanced' now. This now seems to be some virus or bacteria infection. I went to a store today that specializes in birds/chickens and got them some medicine for bacterias (which they said might not help as this could be something that once infected, cannot be undone). I mixed this stuff with their water, and I'm still crossing my fingers. I also got them vitamins to mix with their food. They seem a bit upset today. I also changed a bit their food diet, which is why I think they are mad. I'll keep updating on what's going on with them. For the time being, they seem to be improving.

Nicolas.

Hello!

Ok, so, the duckling that was really bad yesterday woke up better today. He's now able to move his neck and tail, and he can clean himself up (he couldn't do this yesterday). His appetite also improved. The problem now is that my second duckling seems a bit 'unbalanced' now. This now seems to be some virus or bacteria infection. I went to a store today that specializes in birds/chickens and got them some medicine for bacterias (which they said might not help as this could be something that once infected, cannot be undone). I mixed this stuff with their water, and I'm still crossing my fingers. I also got them vitamins to mix with their food. They seem a bit upset today. I also changed a bit their food diet, which is why I think they are mad. I'll keep updating on what's going on with them. For the time being, they seem to be improving.

Nicolas.
Glad to hear your seeing improvements, but I can tell you both your ducklings still maybe having a niacin deficiency. Giving the vitamins should help if it's the ones you described. And as for the antibiotic well be sure to give them probiotics after treatment because antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria. And another thing diseases that usually stick around are mostly in chickens, Mareks for one and there are several others, so hopefully your lil ones will improve fast with the vitamins. and change in feed. Water fowl are very disease resistant as long as they are kept as clean as possible and fed healthy feed. If you can get some dried meal worms and add a small amt to their new feed they may accept it better then once eating good, just give the meal worms as a small treat daily.

Hello,

Another update. Both ducklings are still weak and don't seem to have the right balance skills. But they are eating and most importantly (I guess) drinking lots of water. The medicine they're on has the following:
Sulfadimethoxine 25.000mg
Vitamin A 600.000 UI
Vitamin K 500 mg
And 'excipients' - whatever that means...

I'm mixing 2-4 g in a liter of water which last for the whole day. The indications are that this treatment has to be followed during 6 days. Apparently, this medication is for the Coccidiosis disease:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidiosis
Although my birds have been in clean facilities, they might have gotten something from the chickens which share the same room at night. When they were younger, they shared the same box. When I told the lady in the bird-store about their symptoms, she gave me this medicine.

Once this treatment is done, I plan to move on vitamins which also need to be mixed in the water (I don't want to mix medicines, so I think it's better to do one at a time). And after that, they will get a vaccine called NC-BRON which is similar to this:
http://www.diccionarioveterinarioplm.com/avilab-newcastle-bronquitis-emulsionada-4570-2
The chickens are also getting it.

And finally, I started to get them some proteins on their food, following this post's indications:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements
I am giving them cooked egg, with the shell crushed as a powder, plus corn, oatmeal, soya and smashed cooked peas. That's the best I can do.... Still crossing my fingers. I'm attaching a picture of the duckling that couldn't move his neck on sunday, but now he can take a bath and clean himself up :)

Nicolas

Hello,

Another update. Both ducklings are still weak and don't seem to have the right balance skills. But they are eating and most importantly (I guess) drinking lots of water. The medicine they're on has the following:
Sulfadimethoxine 25.000mg
Vitamin A 600.000 UI
Vitamin K 500 mg
And 'excipients' - whatever that means...

I'm mixing 2-4 g in a liter of water which last for the whole day. The indications are that this treatment has to be followed during 6 days. Apparently, this medication is for the Coccidiosis disease:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidiosis
Although my birds have been in clean facilities, they might have gotten something from the chickens which share the same room at night. When they were younger, they shared the same box. When I told the lady in the bird-store about their symptoms, she gave me this medicine.

Once this treatment is done, I plan to move on vitamins which also need to be mixed in the water (I don't want to mix medicines, so I think it's better to do one at a time). And after that, they will get a vaccine called NC-BRON which is similar to this:
http://www.diccionarioveterinarioplm.com/avilab-newcastle-bronquitis-emulsionada-4570-2
The chickens are also getting it.

And finally, I started to get them some proteins on their food, following this post's indications:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements
I am giving them cooked egg, with the shell crushed as a powder, plus corn, oatmeal, soya and smashed cooked peas. That's the best I can do.... Still crossing my fingers. I'm attaching a picture of the duckling that couldn't move his neck on sunday, but now he can take a bath and clean himself up :)

Nicolas
How precious and so thankful to hear even though weak there is improvement. You have to do what you feel is best for your ducklings. So hope for the best outcome which is total good health.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom