5 week old ducklings and chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by feathers16, Nov 21, 2016.

1. feathers16

feathers16 New Egg

Nov 21, 2016
    As the title suggest I have 3 black australorp chicks and 3 khaki Campbell ducklings that are 5 weeks old. Both are out growing the brooder and the bathtub. It has turned cold here in the mid south and I am wondering when they can go outside and not be compromised due to the cold. Chicks have most of their feathers and the ducks are getting theirs. I have 3 7 month old barred rock chickens and one 4 month old white maran outside and they have handled the burst of cold that we have had. I'm new to the poultry homestead and want all my girls to be happy and healthy. What should I do? I'm not in a hurry to get them out of the house but would love some feed back so I can do the right thing for them. I've never had outside pets so the cold weather has me really worried. I'm the type person who puts sweaters and coats on my two dogs in the winter when they go outside.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I know just how you feel about them going out in the cold. If your temps are very cold outdoors you could supplement them some heat when they go out. Are you weaning them off the heat in the house? I would certainly wait until they are fully feathered to totally finish with the heat. Getting them out sure can be a tough one and a lot goes on how you feel. There are some great articles here ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  3. feathers16

feathers16 New Egg

Nov 21, 2016
    Thank you so much for the information and the websites to check out. Since this is my first time owning chickens and ducks I'm treating them like a first child. You know nothing really and over think everything!!! Lol!![​IMG] Plus your suggestion of weaning off heat is a great idea. Hadn't thought that far ahead. Lol!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, feathers16, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to your chicks and ducks! :)

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! [​IMG]I hope you enjoy BYC and find it helpful, best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by