5 week old ducks, just put them outside.

I have 5 week old pekin ducks and I just put them outside. We couldn't stand the smell as they get everything wet and throw their food around and it rots really fast. We put them in a small chicken coop with a plastic box with a hole in the side so they can have shelter but they don't seem to be using it. It is getting down to the 40's tonight and the rest of the week. Think they will be ok?

When did you put your ducks out?

We have 6 week old ducklings. To combat the smell this is what we have been doing.......We purchased a kiddie pool. We have it in our living room (not ideal, but it's closest to the door and has the most room). During the day they are outside if it's warm enough and they are kept in the pool when inside. We cover the bottom of the pool with wood shavings. Their food and water dish are in aluminum pans so it doesn't spill into the shavings. The shavings still get wet, but not nearly as bad. I do have to change it at least every other day if not every day. The more time they spend outside the less I have to change it. It's a pain and the cost of shavings add up quick but it's allowing us to keep them inside when it's too cold. Hope this helps!

Nice elly, I would love to have our chickens and ducks out in the open. Unfortunately with 3 dogs, 2 indoor cats and a 2 year old child, we are very limited in what we can do. The only thing that gives me peace of mind in that environment is a large rubber made tub with a cut top and hardware cloth bolted over the cut area.

Nice elly, I would love to have our chickens and ducks out in the open. Unfortunately with 3 dogs, 2 indoor cats and a 2 year old child, we are very limited in what we can do. The only thing that gives me peace of mind in that environment is a large rubber made tub with a cut top and hardware cloth bolted over the cut area.
Ah, I can see where that could be a problem. Our youngest child is 9 so I don't have to worry there. And for some reason my cats and dogs don't bother them at all either. Actually our Boston Terrier was extremely protective of the ducklings. She would hover near them and not let the cats near them at all. I am quite surprised by my cats. One of my cats kills everything and she has no interest in the ducks at all.

Do you have a room, basement, or garage they can be locked in? I know how tight a tote gets. I can barely fit my 4 in the tote just to carry them outside.

Hi,
I came looking for an answer to this same question except that we are having high 80's to low 90's during the day and lows in the mid to upper 60's overnight. With hay bedding do you think that 5 week old ducklings would be okay overnight in an outdoor shelter?

Thanks!

If you have electricity a heat source can be a heat pad wrapped in a towel on low setting you just have to keep it from getting wet. Or if you have a spare bathroom set them up in it with puppy pee pads down for another week. If your taking them out during the day then you’ll only need to have them in over night.

Back
Top Bottom