5 Week Old ISA Brown Chick Injured foot/leg

Call911

Chirping
8 Years
May 7, 2015
Hello Everyone,
While moving my larger brooder location for my 15 ISA Browns, there was an accidental drop that caused one of my ISA Brown Female chicks (now 5 weeks old) to be injured. :(:(:(. She is favoring one foot and won't eat or drink very much, just sits in the corner away from the rest of the chicks. I checked for obvious injuries but don't see anything. With the rest of the brood being very active and ignoring her, I am concerned that she may not survive.
Has anyone ever ran into a foot or leg injury and can a chick survive such? Any info and/or direction would be helpful.

It may just be bruised and very sore. Warm epsom salts soaks can help with pain and swelling. If it bruises that may look greenish. It may just take time and rest, and she's probably shocky from the injury. Make sure she's warm, try to get her drinking. It may be necessary to separate her for a bit, but that can cause stress too, so a judgement call, if you think she's safe where she is or at risk of further injury. If you can get her to drink, and give her some quiet, that will help recover from the shock. After that then keep an eye on it, sometimes fractures will swell later rather than right away. I will attach a splinting manual, just in case. If you need to splint, then since she's so small you have to check often and resplint because they are growing so fast. You have to make sure it doesn't get too tight from swelling or growth, and cut off circulation.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom