5 week old Partridge Rock - pullet or roo?

spuddenly

Chirping
Oct 2, 2019
Seattle, WA
Hey! I have a partridge rock that's just a day shy of 5 weeks old and I'm 80% suspicious about it potentially being a roo (it was sold from the hatchery with a 90% pullet rate, but we know how that goes).

Its comb is still fairly small but it's pretty red in certain lights (see #2) but not all (#1, #4, #5).

What makes me more suspicious in addition to the comb and some wattles coming in (picture #4):
  • It's feet look fairly thick (picture #3) - am I off-base there?
  • Size-wise it's almost 2x the size of my Orpington that's a week younger, although my Blue Plymouth Rock is almost its size as well, so maybe its a breed thing.
  • Personality-wise it's one of the bolder chicks and was one of the first to jump on my knees/hands. It's slowly becoming less of a fan of getting picked up and held as it gets older.
  • I've never owned a roo so I'm not familiar with how they walk or behave, but I've frequently seeing this chick looking up/over things and standing tall/stretching its neck up high even if for a few seconds at a time (which I've read online can be a roo behavior).
It's definitely possible it's still too early to tell between a fast-developing pullet and a slow-developing roo. I can post more pictures in a few weeks if so.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hey! I have a partridge rock that's just a day shy of 5 weeks old and I'm 80% suspicious about it potentially being a roo (it was sold from the hatchery with a 90% pullet rate, but we know how that goes).

Its comb is still fairly small but it's pretty red in certain lights (see #2) but not all (#1, #4, #5).

What makes me more suspicious in addition to the comb and some wattles coming in (picture #4):
  • It's feet look fairly thick (picture #3) - am I off-base there?
  • Size-wise it's almost 2x the size of my Orpington that's a week younger, although my Blue Plymouth Rock is almost its size as well, so maybe its a breed thing.
  • Personality-wise it's one of the bolder chicks and was one of the first to jump on my knees/hands. It's slowly becoming less of a fan of getting picked up and held as it gets older.
  • I've never owned a roo so I'm not familiar with how they walk or behave, but I've frequently seeing this chick looking up/over things and standing tall/stretching its neck up high even if for a few seconds at a time (which I've read online can be a roo behavior).
It's definitely possible it's still too early to tell between a fast-developing pullet and a slow-developing roo. I can post more pictures in a few weeks if so.
Coloring looks female. Partridge colored birds have gender specific coloring. 😊

Coloring looks female. Partridge colored birds have gender specific coloring. 😊
TIL!! Definitely did not know this. Super cool - thanks for educating me.

It does have pretty chunky legs, but the comb isn't much of a concern to me. Do your other chicks have any wattles starting yet?
Good to know! This is the only Partridge Rock I have unfortunately, so I don't have others to compare it to.The only other 5 week-old of the batch is a Production Blue who is similarly large with chunky legs, also has some some small pale wattles starting, & is also fairly bold/outgoing. I was actually going to post that one in its own thread as well haha. Guess I might as well post it here for comparison:

production_blue.jpg

TIL!! Definitely did not know this. Super cool - thanks for educating me.

Good to know! This is the only Partridge Rock I have unfortunately, so I don't have others to compare it to.The only other 5 week-old of the batch is a Production Blue who is similarly large with chunky legs, also has some some small pale wattles starting, & is also fairly bold/outgoing. I was actually going to post that one in its own thread as well haha. Guess I might as well post it here for comparison:

View attachment 2664904
Looks female so far. 😊

Your Rock is a pullet. Your second chick also appears to be a pullet. If the second chick colors up and gets a significantly larger comb/wattles in the next few weeks, then I'd say cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom