5 week old puppy and ducklings

bluejeans

Songster
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
New Mexico
Any one ever housed them together so the pup when grown would guard the duckls? if so could you tell us about it even if it didnt work out..i was wonderin if the pup raised that way would play to ruff etc.
5 week old pup it seems one would be ok to start with little ducklings. ..

i have a older dog that i keep near the ducks and though since he is on a rope run above his head ,, he cant go with them every where but they do go to him, if they feel threatened by some predator..

thats why i was wonderin about a pup .. who knows it may never need to be tied and stay with the ducks..

I have never had a pup grow up with my ducks but whenever my brothers dog comes over he doesnt mind the ducks at all. same with the cats. funny story with my ducks and the dog. The dog was outside with the ducks, and he started walking away from them and one duck ran up to him full speed and bit him on the butt!! haha but im sure you could somehow train them to be good buddies and protect eachother.

Please think two and three times about this before you start. There are many dogs that are safe with ducklings, but often they are well-trained adults that the owner knows is gentle with other animals.

Some dogs are very gentle. Others have a huge prey drive. You need to know the breed of dog you are getting and then it is your job to supervise him. Put him on a leash and let him get used to the ducklings. Until he is mature and well-trained you should not leave him alone with them any more than you would leave your child out playing in the yard unsupervised. A puppy will want to play and often nip. That may be a little painful to a human, but imagine the harm it can do a duck if left unchecked.

But a 5 week old puppy is too young to be away from its mom in any case. The longer a puppy stays with its mother (until at least 8 weeks) the better chance it will have learned to socialize, inhibit its bite, and other skills it needs to learn.

X 2 what beardiemom says. 5 weeks is very young. Also, a puppy is a puppy and cannot be left to it's own devices as even playing with a duckling could kill it. A dog that is going to be expected to live with other animals needs many characteristics to succeed. It must be able to withstand the climate year round, be large enough to deter a predator and not become a meal itself etc. Research livestock guardian dogs. You will be able to find info about how these dogs are raised etc.

Breed is very important too but just because a puppy is a certain breed does not mean it will actually work out as a guardian.

It would be best to raise a puppy with the animals it was meant to guard but that involves alot of time on the owner's part. Most LGD are not left with their charges for quite some time and many say they are not fully trained until 1-2 years old. The puppy needs to be trained to listen to it's master, know it's territory and learn to respect the animals it is living with.

We had an 80 lb black and tan coonhound/rottweiler mix that was raised with other dogs but nothing smaller. I was working at an animal shelter at the time and would bring home tiny little kittens to foster. Dakota LOVED them. He was very gentle and protective but that was unusual. Now, I have a Shih tzu that will try to grab every chicken butt that walks by if the chicken is not being aggressive.

I think putting a puppy in with ducklings or ducks for that matter is asking for heartache.

Our Great Pyreneese were all bought as pups and brought on property for the sole job to guard.

Our male was born on a goat farm and never saw the inside of a house. He has always lived outside here as well. He is well manored, protects the property well and is safe around all animals we add here. When he was younger 1yr and under) he was ONLY with the goats (inside the same fenced area) but could see the birds. At 1 yr of age we started working him in the open with the birds. He is a great dog, has only ever offered chase once. He broke off when we stepped near him and has never done so again.

Our female was born on a sheep farm, but raised in the house with the family and her mother. She has been trying from day one. Does not wish to stay on property. Thinks every bark from every dog 5 miles away must be answered all day and all night. She doesn't ever show signs of hurting any of the animals, but does like games of race through them. She does however show fantastic instinct as a medical companion dog (which my husband needs) and is good in the house and with our kids. So she is inside full time unless out with DH of course.

We have a new Pyr pup. He is just being introduced to the animals. So far he does not mind the chickens. Watches the goats, and only gives a partial step towards the geese. The ducks are his biggest issue right now. He is too young to leave alone with any of them though. He was correctable each time so far he moved towards the ducks to cause chase. We will place him with the adult male soon with the goats for some leadership guidance from our adult. With hands on training with the waterfowl continued by us with him for at the minimum of another year before even remotely thinking about leaving him unattended with them.

I don't ever, ever put a pup in a pen with any critters, ever. Until pup has had sufficient training it's only going to do one thing, play with all those fun squeek toys! He doesn't know any better.

Every dog, regardless of breed, requires training and lots of it. Somebody has already mentioned that dogs are considered pups until 1 or 2 years old. Large breeds, more like 2 or 3. So your looking at lots of time training, every day, if your goal is to turn out a good, dependable ranch dog who will guard your flock instead of snacking on them. It's well worth the time and effort.

But really, my concern would be that this pup is only 5 weeks old. Far to young to be away from it's mother. You are already several steps behind because she would have taught him some very important social lessons in the next few weeks, bite inhibition being a big one.

Glad to see all the people on here knowing 5 weeks is too young to be away from the momma! (you wouldn't beleive some people when I worked for the vet. A lady wanted to sell her two week old puppies!! (she said they got that first milk it's all they need! Seriously!? So so wrOng!!) In my experience they should really stay with mom until about 9 weeks. (gets em past that 8 week fear period) I wouldn't trust a dog of any breed along with another small animal for even a secOND until they are 6 months old and even then they aren't left alone .. But I might go farther away depending on the dogs temperament and the other animals too.

Back
Top Bottom