5 week old roo already defending the flock :D

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by suki'smom, Aug 10, 2011.

1. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Was just out in my run giving my 5 week old chicks their bedtime treats when my Ameracauna cockerel surprised me very much. My cats like to come watch me feed the chicks and will often pace the fence and pounce at them to get a reaction. Well today my boys Billy and Ninja were watching the chick when Billy pounced at the fence and the closes chick chirped loudly and ran off. Well my Ameracauna boy promptly ran up to Billy with all his hackles raised, head low and wings spread out. They sat there eye to eye until Billy gave a "whatever" look and walked off. I am very happy at this point. He is a gorgeous boy and obviously isn't afraid to throw down when he needs to. I just hope he doesn't turn nasty as I'd hate to have to dispatch him. He seemed to be quite proud of himself [​IMG] I wasn't sure if I should post in the baby chicks section or here but I thought I'd put it here as I'm sure my little guy is feeling all grown up right now lol

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

i dont think that he will take it out on any of the other chickens. Congratulations with your new defender. Hopefully he knows when to back down though. I had one of my "defenders" killed by a badger.[​IMG] But he saved the rest of the flock, so he died with a purpose.[​IMG]

3. suki'smom

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I'm not worried about him attacking the other chickens, more worried about him going after ME lol My old roo was a real jerk and bloodied my legs all the time so I really hope that this guy doesn't turn out that way. I'm really hoping for some Amreacauna and Ameracauna X babies out of him. The other 2 boys (Speckled Sussex, Black Giant) ran like scared little girls [​IMG] Hopefully they'll man up as they get older.

Sorry about your roo. I hear badgers are nasty things. Where do you live that you have Badgers? Been in Wisconsin my whole life and never even seen one.

4. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    hmmph

my little silkie roo runs away and leaves the girls to defend themselves against the grapes I'm throwing to them.

5. suki'smom

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Hahaha how funny. Hopefully he will man up as he gets older (I sure hope my other two will). I've got some shy cheepies but I've been hand feeding them all sunflower seed every evening and they get less skittish towards me every day. My Ameracauna cockerel is often the first one to come and eat out of my hand.

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    [​IMG] what a good boy

7. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] Sounds like my "not so brave roo"

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch