5 week old silkie chicks hen or rooster?

SouthernBelles

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 9, 2015
I have 3 silkie chicks that are about 5 weeks old. I was told the are all hens but the older they get the more I'm thinking one if not all are roosters! Can anyone help me sex them?

I'm wondering the same about my white silkies. Since I wanted to end up with one pullet, I got 4 chicks. I also got 4 mille fleur d'Uccles, and at 3.5 weeks, I could get a good idea of who was who with them, but with those silkies, as hard as I try to scrutinize their combs and behavior, I just can't peg them. According to these factors, I might have 3 roos and one pullet! With the d'Uccles, I lucked out with 2 roos and 2 pullets. Even on the d'Uccles, you can feel the very beginnings of spurs on their legs. Not so much with the silkies, but that's one thing I will keep a keen eye on- the development of those spurs.

Thanks! Good to know! Maybe if my BlueEgg (the chicken egg that Birda hatched) turns out to be a hen (s/he's back at the farm where I got the egg), I can ask for her back. The lady said she has too many birds anyway... I was kind of heartbroken thinking BlueEgg was a cockerel, so it would be grand if I turned out to be wrong about that one!

Back
Top Bottom