5 Week Old True Blue Whiting - Cockerel?

BigECart

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
I’m seeing pink wattles. 90% sure this is a cockerel. I have three survivors in this batch; the other two are an Andalusian cockerel and a golden Campine pullet. The TBW’s legs have always matched the Andalusian’s, as has his size. The GC is smaller and more delicate. We have heard some crowing from the brooder - haven’t caught the culprit but I’m sure it’s the Andalusian - he is all boy. His picture is from a week ago.
View recent photos.png
IMG_1287.jpeg
IMG_1294.png

I did not have Welsummer in my order. They came the week after the Amazon Prime event - between the heat and possible rough handling, or something wrong in my setup, I lost 4 the first week: Ancona, buttercup, Phoenix, white faced black Spanish. My understanding is that TBW is a mixed breed with a lot of variation in coloring.

Compared to the Andalusian, they look like a pullet, but isn’t 5-weeks early for wattles? Crowing at 4 weeks is pretty early, so I don’t think comparing to the Andalusian is going to work here.

I did not have Welsummer in my order. They came the week after the Amazon Prime event - between the heat and possible rough handling, or something wrong in my setup, I lost 4 the first week: Ancona, buttercup, Phoenix, white faced black Spanish. My understanding is that TBW is a mixed breed with a lot of variation in coloring.

Compared to the Andalusian, they look like a pullet, but isn’t 5-weeks early for wattles? Crowing at 4 weeks is pretty early, so I don’t think comparing to the Andalusian is going to work here.
I’m sorry to hear you lost so many birds from your order :(

I don’t think 4 weeks is too early for wattles on a pullet. My Welsummer (just as an example) was quick to develop, bigger than all my other girls of the same age who are different breeds, and she is definitely a pullet. She also had rather large legs, and still does.

Here she is at 4.5 weeks:

51F3FA68-E59D-4C07-96A7-3489C9270950.jpeg

Her comb and wattles just stopped growing after the initial growth spurt. Yours might do the same.

I'm going by color pattern as well as comb/wattles. It has a color pattern typical of female Welsumer's, brown Leghorn's and other breeds. Males with this color pattern will have black breast feathers and females will have rusty or salmon colored breast feathers. There is no way to know with total accuracy what breed or gender the chick is, but I'm just saying what the picture says to me.

Back
Top Bottom