5 week olds picking feathers

disneypixie49

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
I have three 5 week old hens that have recently been moved into their coop from the brooder. About a week ago, I started to notice some fully grown feathers lying around the brooder which all belonged to one chick. I think that the other two are bullying her but I can never catch them in action, because after we moved them into the coop, they still pick at her and I really don't know what to do. I think they might have started picking because of overcrowding but they haven't stopped at all.

They have about 9 sq. feet, the temp. is about 65-70, they're still on starter feed (I don't feed them anything else except what they find in the yard when I let them out), and I have not seen anything on them...

It's still a bit tight, not too bad since they're not grown yet, but tight enough that if they already got into the habit of feather picking it's not enough room to stop it. You could try hanging a cabbage or a suet feeder for them to redirect the picking behaviour, but if you do that be sure to get some grit for them. I'd also go out there after they've went to roost for the night with a flashlight and check them over really well for mites/lice. Look really well around the fluffy vent area, that's where you're most likely to see them.

thanks for the tips, I will definitely check that out and try the cabbage. What type of cabbage should I use?

I also heard that a little bit of vinegar in their drinking water could discourage picking. Is this true? Should I check my local feed store for a spray to discourage feather picking?

I'm having issues with this too. Just had to remove two pullets (I think their about 3 weeks old) and separate them from the others. As far as I can tell, it's the Barred Rocks that started the picking on the Golden Sex links. One of them has four open sores that have been picked since YESTERDAY!!

So here's what I'm thinking... can anyone tell me if I'm thinking correctly?

I've separated the two, they are in about 4 square feet of space each, and can "see" each other through the plastic of the tubs they are in.
I'll keep them in their tubs respectively until they've healed.
Meanwhile, I think I'll try the suet idea in with the other three to try to change this picking behavior before it really sets in.
THEN I'll add them back with the other three at night and see how things go?

Thanks for any MORE advice that can be given.
Off to purchase more food and water containers, and some suet! lol

I have tried the cabbage trick with my pickers and it hasn't helped. I have gotten them a higher protein food and am hoping this helps. If it doesn't, I'm afraid that my two pickers will be headed for freezer camp.

High protien is good, but the chicks should already be on a fairly high protien diet. More space is the most reliable, but hardest thing to do. You can also try adding some structure to their enclosure so that they have somthing to run around and perch on. Remember if you offer chicks suet, cabbage, or any other treat that you also need to give them chick grit. They don't need it if they're only eating crumbles, but once you go beyond that it gets to be important. Blu-kote is good to put on the injures spots. It will help things heal up faster and in mild cases will help keep the others from pecking at the sore spots. I don't know if ACV will help with feather picking or not.

Back
Top Bottom