5 year old hen, thin, eating active, but slowing down.. diarhrea with yellow white slime

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bocktobery 10, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Lilyput

Lilyput Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Bocktobery 10: I would message Dawg, he is just great. You can also find a lot of information if you look up "worms"; he has a lot of stuff on the worm threads

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Passing grit can happen when they have a bacterial or fungal infection. Green poop could be from her not eating and/or bacteria. This is one that needs to be tube fed fluids, then fluids and baby bird food.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    These are really great photos and I thank you immensely Kathy for sharing them. I'm not sure though of the scale. Its kind of hard to tell. I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the two photos with mostly white background. I see the blobs and little bits of things- I assume the hair like barely seen squiggles are the worms? Are the globs something else or ? And what is the body organ or part in which the possible damage is done? Is that something other than the cecal region? Or do cecal worms mainly stay in one place?
    That damaged area is one of the cecal pouches where I found the cecal worms.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I found something like that and it was pus from my peahen's cecal pouch. Can you take a picture of it?

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She's been wormed, so there are no worms, but there could be damage from them. I suspect that she probably has some type of bacterial infection that will require antibiotics.

-Kathy

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Maybe enteritis? Do you have any idea what antibiotics?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Been thinking about it.... recently had a Muscovy drake that looked like it was gonna die that had bright green diarrhea, so I brought him in, got him warm, stable, hydrated and started him on Safeguard (300mg for five days), Metronidazole (250mg twice a day for five days) and Baytril (100mg once a day for five days). Not sure what he had, but the combo of meds fixed him up in 4 days.

Of course he was also tube fed until he would eat properly on his own.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Note that both Baytril and metronidazole are banned for use in poultry. This drake is one that will be used for breeding and will never be eaten. [​IMG]

-Kathy

9. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    I've just started giving her orally baytril, 1/4th cc, twice a day. She has only had two doses so far. I was giving her all sorts of antibiotics before- I was trying everything it seems. I think I wrote which ones in the beginning of this post. Nothing seemed to really be working very well. So, now with the Baytril, I'm hoping since its been known to treat just about anything, that it will work.

If she has a fungal infection, what sort of thing would treat that?

I will be resorting to tube feeding her baby bird food soon. I just don't think she is eating enough.

I suspected enteritis in the beginning. I guess it still could be. Her poop is really gooey now, like jello. but really dark green and stringy. There was something that looked plastic-y and green. So hard to describe- hard, crunchy and stiff. It reminds me if you put a piece of hard thin plastic in the blender and chewed it up so that it was bumpy. There is a bit of cecal (or what looks to me to be cecal) poo in the mix. She doesn't have the slimey yellow anymore. None what so ever. Just green, bit of brown cecal poo, and sometimes the lash looking things. Oh and stones and undigested corn peices- She still wants her scratch feed! She seems to have more interest in that than the eggs or yogurt or oats now. I'm still bothered by the fact her crop is empying so slowly. I think though from reading this is common when a bird is dehydrated. I was looking up stuff about kidney disease and it sounds possible, only that my bird has been ill for so long. I would have thought she would have passed by now if it were a kidney disease or a blockage of some sort. She's really held in there for a long time.

10. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Yes I will Kathy. I don't know how soon I can get that posted though- I'm still going through a renovation right now and I don't exactly have everything hooked up to my computer. I had to temporarily set up just the basics for the time being! I don't have the lash bit now- washed it out already. I will definitely take a snap of it next time it will happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by