5 year old Rooster weak on legs possible mites?

Get someone to help you hold him...get a flashlight and very gently open his beak and check out the inside of his mouth and down his throat. The insides should look clean and normal. If you see yellowish or whitish spots or lesions, that is Canker. It too is deadly but it needs a separate treatment. They can get canker from drinking contaminated water..out of rain puddles, etc. That might be why he's shaking his head. Also, check out his ears while you're there.

I will have a look in his mouth when i go out. Ive just researched canker online it says alot pigeons and doves have the infection, we do have doves that hang around the outside run and lots of other wild birds so there is a chance hes picked canker up. What is the best quickest treatment or help?

Ive checked in his mouth it all looked normal. He's eating and drinking well so if it was canker would it be more developed by now and stopping him from eating much?
Im wondering if he's had mites thats caused anemia and hes slowly recovering. He had one clove of chopped garlic yesterday as thats supposd to stop the mites biting. I brought some dust powder specifically for red mites and put it on him before dusk. (Ive always been told to dust the chickens in the morning so when they sleep with their beak in the feathers they wont breathe it in. But now im reading that it's best to dust them for red mites at night as the mites are waking up. Is this right? )
Im going out to get some apple cidre vingar today as ive used that in the past and seemed to help also thinking of getting oregano i've heard thats a natural antibiotic.
I think im giving him just about everything i can think of now. I suppose theres no quick fix it's just a waiting game and hope to see an improvement soon. I'm just lucky i've caught him early while he's still interested in eating and drinking.
Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions. I will keep updating as to how he is.

Be careful giving him too much garlic. It can be toxic to chickens. I do give it ours once in a while...twice a year or so..as I do think it helps with lice. But I only chop up like half a garlic clove and add it to a gallon of drinking water, and only for a week at a time. I'm not sure what the correct dose would be, or how much is too much.

Pleased to say my silkie rooster is alot better i would say he had anemia from red mites. I will list all the treatments i've used to help him get better for future reference......
  • Battles Poultry Drink
  • Battles Poultry Spice
  • Red Mite Powder
  • Nettex Total Mite Kill (to treat the coop)
  • Xeno 450 Spot on
  • Worming Pallets
  • Scrambled Egg
  • Grated Carrot (For extra Iron)
  • Cat Meat
  • Porridge
  • Apple Cidre Vinegar
  • Chopped Garlic
  • Dried Oregano (natural antibiotic)
It's quite a big list but it worked.
Dont give all the treatments in one go. I mixed some of them together for example: porridge with dried oregano or scrambled egg with woming pallets and poultry spice.

I hope this helps for similar cases. Please post a reply or message me if you have any questions about them in the future.

Thank you for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom