5 yr old Jersey Black Giant

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
My gal, Michele, has been having trouble walking. I don't see any problems with her lower legs or feet. She's doesn't have lice or worms. She does lay eggs... though seldom as expected with her age. Her comb is bright and her feathers have luster.
Each day when she leaves the coop she eats her share full and then sits. Everyone else scratches and searches and she sits. When she gets up she hobbles a bit. What should I be looking for? Something in the thigh area? back? Her back does sloop down a bit more than the others. This has been going on for a while. I thought that maybe we had worms, but everyone's been treated and no change.

Appreciate any assistance in what/where to look.
Colleen

I had 2 hens that were doing that, it lasted for 2 months. Since then they've been acting fine. I didn't give them any medicine or any thing.So there fine now, I have no idea what it was /:

I hope your hen gets better!!

Sometimes older birds can get arthritis. I have a 4 1/2 year old barred rock that does the exact same thing and has for a long time. She is otherwise completely normal as far as appearance, eating, roosting etc. So since it's gone on a long time and I'm not particularly interested in dropping big bucks and stressing her out to get her x-rayed that's what I'm going with! On days that she seems a little more sore I give her a crushed up baby aspirin in a little buttermilk twice a day.

I was wondering about baby aspirin. I'll give it a try. Thanks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom