50 Chickens in an 8ftX10ft tractor?

Quote:
What if you were to get some kind of livestock paneling to put between the PVC and the tarp? I know the local tractor supply sells these long cattle/livestock panels, it looks like fence but it's very sturdy. I think it may help you with the tarp problem.

-Kim

Quote:
What if you were to get some kind of livestock paneling to put between the PVC and the tarp? I know the local tractor supply sells these long cattle/livestock panels, it looks like fence but it's very sturdy. I think it may help you with the tarp problem.

-Kim

That would keep the top from sagging, but then the sides would sag. Plus, the added weight from those panels would be a lot. One thing that might be a good idea to use with those panels would be to build a frame directly under the tarp, in the same shape as the tarp, so that the tarp sat on it, rather than sagging down. This wouldn't allow it to sag, or water to collect. I still think it would be quite heavy, but it would be a good start.

Quote:

-Kim

That would keep the top from sagging, but then the sides would sag. Plus, the added weight from those panels would be a lot. One thing that might be a good idea to use with those panels would be to build a frame directly under the tarp, in the same shape as the tarp, so that the tarp sat on it, rather than sagging down. This wouldn't allow it to sag, or water to collect. I still think it would be quite heavy, but it would be a good start.

One of my friends built one using the panels, and she absolutely loves it. No problems that I know of, and very easy to move. I found similar patterns to hers all over the net. U

nfortunetely I cannot use as I am in a high wind area, and it would be gone in seconds. I don't even trust the PVC around here, we are too close to Lake Huron. Currently I have a 8X8X2 built out of 2x2's. It's held up very nicely except one of the bottom pieces cracked where there was a knot in the wood. Very cheap to build. I used an old baby gate for the "door", poultry netting, and a heavy duty tarp. My second is a 12x11. I bought 1x4's to build the frame, and then chickened out and used 2x4's on bottom and 1x4 around the top. It is very heavy, but with wheels I can move it. I plan to try 2 more types this summer, one PVC attached to 2 runner boards at bottom for weight, and a wood fram attached to electrical PVC as a mini hoop house. This one will only be about 4 feet in the middle and should be super light to move.

Quote:
You guys also might try fastening more poultry wire to the frame under the tarp to help support it (if you can get it tight enough without flexing the pvc)...not much weight added, but it may not be possible to stretch it tight enough with PVC to do any good, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom