50 chicks from Meyer Hatchery arrived!!

fuzziecreatures

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Southwestern PA, Flock since 5/2011
Got the phone call at 6:15am that my chicks were at the post office ready to be picked up! I never recieved an email stated they shipped them so I didn't have the heat lamp plugged in overnight. Got up, put my shoes on, started the car (was 50 this am), went down to the brooder and turned on the heat lamp and drove to the post office. I turned on the heat because I figured they would be chilly after their trip from OH yesterday and last night. I picked up their box and placed them in the car on the floor, after about 3 minutes of driving they felt the warmth and stopped peeping so much. Got them home and opened up the box. Everyone is alive and active! Got everyone out 1 by 1 and occasionally dipped someone's beak in the water dish. 2 24" food trays full of chick feed for them with the heat lamp. Everyone was huddled together warming up after the trip About an hour later, everyone is more comfortable I ordered 25 rare layer assortment and 25 brown egg layer asst. I am slowly trying to figure out what everyone is, but I know I got 4-5 Salmon Favs! These 2 are super cute though

What a bunch of cuties.....congratulations!
yippiechickie.gif

So cute! Can't wait for May 9 when I get to pick up my Salmon Favs! I have wanted them for a while now and this year I planned ahead and ordered them before they sold out.
wee.gif

Thursday, I noted one of the chicks not doing well. It was lethargic, felt hot as it was near the heat lamp area and didn't seem to have the energy to move. I moved it away slightly, dunked it's little beak in the waterer and it drank. No interest in food, so I laid it down in the heat lamp area but not directly in the beam where it was before. Checked on it about 2 hrs later, hadn't moved and was getting stepped on. It's little legs were kicking, eyes closed, agonal breathing I was sure it was dying and didn't deserve to be trampled while it was passing. I picked the little fella up and held him while he passed.

Friday, I saw one chick (same breed as the weak one) with spraddle leg or a slipped tendon or something as simple as an injury. I let it rest, Saturday night I placed bandaid hobbles on it. Didn't quite know what was on it's legs but laid down to go back to sleep. Today, doing fine with the hobbles and hopping around like a robin.

Everyone else is doing wonderfully.
We also had another 100% hatch from one of our broodies, Cinnamon. 9 live babies, I am honestly surprised because she is a first time mom and needed to be reminded where her nest was several times and some of the eggs got cool. She was sitting on straw several times, and pooped all over the eggs for the last week and half.

Back
Top Bottom