50 chicks on the way

whatthehay

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
Hello! We have 50 baby chicks being sent to us tomorrow. We currently have the brooder box set up on our porch and need to lay something underneath it. I've seen so many different answers to this questions, but what should I lay underneath the box? We also have an outlet for a bulb. What bulb is best? Again, I have seen so many different answers. We live in South Texas and it is almost 100 degrees F during the day and gets down to about 75 at night. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For under the box you can use newspaper, tarp, or cardboard. I use newspaper as it is easy for me to clean up and I can put in the compost. For the bulb I use 60 watt and leave it on unless it is too hot for the chicks. I have read that the best temperature for chicks is about 95 degrees. If I were you, and I'm so do what you want their your birds, your choice, I would put a thermometer in in the brooder about midway if the light is on one end and keep an eye on the temperature. Shut the light off if it gets too hot and turn it back on when the thermometer reads no lower than 75 or 80 degrees. Chicks will die if it is too hot or too cold. Hope this helps you.

Hello! We have 50 baby chicks being sent to us tomorrow. We currently have the brooder box set up on our porch and need to lay something underneath it. I've seen so many different answers to this questions, but what should I lay underneath the box? We also have an outlet for a bulb. What bulb is best? Again, I have seen so many different answers. We live in South Texas and it is almost 100 degrees F during the day and gets down to about 75 at night. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Is this an enclosed porch where no animals can get to the chicks?

A regular light bulb that you have available will work. You probably won't need a light in the afternoons to keep the chicks warm, it seems. It' s a good idea to allow the chicks enough room in the brooder box so they can move away from the light when they are hot and move toward the light when they are cold.

By the way, what breed or breeds did you order?

Last edited:
Yes, it is on our porch and no animals can get to it.

We are getting 25 Leghorns, 10 Black Sex Link and 15 Ameraucanas

Yes, it is on our porch and no animals can get to it.

We are getting 25 Leghorns, 10 Black Sex Link and 15 Ameraucanas

You will be getting a lot of eggs starting early next year. I see you will have white, brown, and blue/green eggs.

Maybe you can post a picture of the chicks after they arrive.

Walmart has shower curtain liners for $2 I would use that. Also sometimes you can get free frosting buckets from bakeries and they can be very handy to store feed or turn into feeders and waterers. Just saying!
Caroline

Love the frosting bucket idea!! The bakery we asked gave us a pickle bucket. With that smell there is NO way I could store food in it. I'm currently using it to scoop poop from the coop into and the pickle smell is winning out of the poop smell!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom