50+ Hens Suddenly stop laying. HELP!!

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I find it intriguing that some others have flocks which have stopped laying as well. I was up at my neighbor's on the next concession this evening, and their flock of 5 has stopped laying as well. I've never heard of this happening in the summer.

Our birds generally moult in the fall- this bunch moulted last fall, when they were only about 4 months old.

There are no feathers laying about anywhere. I think that because we have two groups, and they are in separate houses, that rules out being shocked by something. And the one group is in a totally rodent proof building with concrete floor.

Dawg, I really appreciate the link; much more info than any other link I've found so far.

Riane's mimi, Carilynn and Andrea- How many hens and which breeds do you have? Did you have any soft-shelled eggs before they went off. We did. We also had some with broken yolks when we cracked them open. Did you have any of those?

I see a lot of symptoms which point to something called egg drop syndrome, which we apparently don't have in North America, but perhaps now we do?

To make it even more complex, I found something gross in the nest box today, looked like some kind of organ? Solid, meaty and bloody. Egg sized, but no shell.

We have stopped expediting any eggs to customers until further notice while we try to determine what is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom