50 Pekins in gated community

quackfishing

Chirping
Jun 22, 2022
Can anyone take in Pekin ducks around El Paso? One of my friends messaged me about taking in ducks, and when i asked why he said his parents gated community had pekin ducks in their 5 lakes, and they bred quickly, and now there are 50 of them. Apparently they cannot take care of this many, smh 🤦‍♀️, and have to get rid of them somehow. HE said they would have to have them homed, or they would need to stop feeding them and butcher them. They will probably have to butcher some of them, which is expected for drakes, but 50 ducks seem like a lot to have to kill. Does anyone know of anyone that can take some in in El Paso or Las Cruces area? I am posting in Texas and nNew Mexico state forum too.

That's sad. I am surprised that Pekins bred in the wild so successfully. Muscovy do that here in Florida, but the female muscovies can fly. Pekins are so vulnerable to predation

On the culling: that is sad but a common response. My local library has a nice "duck" pond. It's round and deep, and gets muscovy coming in seasonally. But the main ducks are dumped pekins -- mostly drakes. The library manager has decided that the pond can only support 4 ducks. I don't understand his thinking as people come every day and feed the ducks -- duck food and chopped veggies, not bread. But that is his thinking and two years ago he had the flock culled. Early this year there were 7 including 2 over mated females. I asked if I might rescue the females and was told yes please so we don't have to pay for a cull. I actually only managed to get one of the females who was in a badly beaten up state. The other female disappeared a couple of months later, and since then a drake has disappeared to. Either way, pekins in the wild are sadly vulnerable to predation to culling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom