$50 vet charge for chicken diagnosis?

They did say no eggs for 10 days, but she's stopped laying so I don't think that's going to be a problem. Here's what we left with:

Panacur
Baytril
Kbp&Neomycin
Prednesone

The appointment ended up at $67.40, guess those office gals that answer the phone don't know what they'll really charge. The medicine was the remainder.

Aside from the rest of the discussion, she's not a $2 pet. You've also got a lot of feed into her and she's at an age to start producing which makes her worth well over $2. With free range eggs at $4 a dozen at the grocery store, that vet visit could be paid for pretty quickly if she makes it.

Coop $600, Feed $150 year, Supplies $200, Chicken $2., Neverending funny chicken entertainment, priceless..

If you got it and you love her spend it!!!

Hope she gets better for you!

No, I don't think you're crazy at all. I used to run a rat rescue, we thought of our rats as pets. We had our males and females spayed and nuetered for $50/each (that's a ton when you have 23 rescue rats). Then if they got sick, or injured, back to the vet. I know we spent well over $200 on just one. So, no, I don't think it's crazy. Now, in this economy we probably wouldn't have the extra money to take a chicken to the vet and would have to make do at home. I would try my darndest, but if I couldn't get them to a vet and tried my best to treat at home, I would not feel guilty either.

A.T. Hagan :

Quote:
From what I've read it's not a good idea to mix vaccinated and unvaccinated birds. The Mareks vaccine uses a live virus and they can communicate it to birds that aren't vaccinated.

As for whether you should spend the money or not it comes down to whether she is livestock or a pet. If she's livestock then schedule an appointment with Dr. Hatchet. If she's a pet spend what ever you think is appropriate.

not true those who have been vac will not effect those who have not been.

I spent $800 once so dont feel bad do whatever your heart tells you to do. Good luck!​

She seems to be doing slightly better today. Her tail is a bit perkier. Still having diarhea and often. She's just laying in the play pen watching tv now.

The other girls are fine.

I had to break that $$ cost to my husband. He didnt seem too upset, he knows these girls bring me some enjoyment.
smile.png

Quote:
I would look for a younger vet, one who has up-to-date information and training about chickens and knows what tests to give. I might be wrong, but what you say sounds as if he is guessing and probably selling some medicine that your chicken does not need.

Quote:
I would look for a younger vet, one who has up-to-date information and training about chickens and knows what tests to give. I might be wrong, but what you say sounds as if he is guessing and probably selling some medicine that your chicken does not need.

I have to agree.

Back
Top Bottom