55 Swedish Flowering Hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Vorksigan, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Vorksigan

Vorksigan Chirping

May 20, 2013
    Splendora Texas
    I have several 55 Flowering Hens. They are auto sexing birds. The cockerel have a white tuff on their heads. The cockerels grow to be solid white while the pullets range in patterned colors from light brown to silver. They are about the size of Leghorns and lay beautiful large white eggs. They are proving to be great layers 2 of every 3 days. They are smart tricky birds. I haven’t had good success Hatching yet but I have several dozen in my large incubator. I live North of Houston. If you are raising these and would like to correspond just email me at [email protected]. I do believe these are different from the Swedish Flower Hens being discussed on another thread.

2. pineapple416

pineapple416 Songster

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Swedish flower hens are very beautiful birds.

Cindycon and JedJackson like this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes, Swedish Flower Hens and 55 Flowery Hens are different breeds. I've raised Swedish Flower Hens for years now and I just love them. Excellent layers of large brown eggs. My coming 7 year old hens are still laying very well.

4. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Here are pictures from the web-- 1st is 55 flowery hens and rooster. 2nd is Swedish flower hen and rooster. Very different. 55flowery.jpeg swedishflowerhens.jpg

5. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    What's are the differences between Swedish Flower Hens and 55 Flowery Hens?

6. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    55s are an intentionally created autosexing breed. They were made by crossing several different varieties of Leghorns. They are pretty similar to Leghorns- white earlobes, light bodies, white eggs, mostly non-sitters.

SFHs are a land race created over time through natural selection, so they vary a lot in color, size, etc. They are bigger, lay brown or tinted eggs, good setters, and probably better meat birds. They can have crests, too.

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    SFH are much larger, not sex linked, and lay brown eggs. Where as 55 FH are smaller, lay white eggs, and are sex linked.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Jed and Gray Farms

HenOnAJuneBug likes this.
  9. Vorksigan

Vorksigan Chirping

May 20, 2013
    Splendora Texas
    I love my 55 Flowering Hens. They lay big eggs that incubate well.
    I have several chicks available and they are very nice looking chicks?
    If anyone has stock from other than GFF I would like to trade roosters to widen my genetic pool.
    [email protected]

WMassforestflock likes this.
  10. Vorksigan

Vorksigan Chirping

May 20, 2013
    Splendora Texas
    Anyone else raising 55 Flowering Hens that would like too share genetic please contact me at [email protected].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: