1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5th chick dying in my hands right now - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by familypendragon, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Poor girl, hope the vets are able to figure out what the other problem is. Glad the birds with pox at least seem to be better.

2. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

I am reading up on infra-orbital swelling (it isn't in the combs or waddles of any of them that I can see) on the Cornell Atlas of Avian diseases http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/ and I am becoming very suspicious of MG. This sounds like exactly what she has going on...

I sent that to the vet to see what he thinks.

3. familypendragon

Two more dead chicks today - a Black Isbar and a Black Breda :( They were about 3 weeks old and have been standing hunched over struggling to breathe for about a week. I figured it was probably just a matter of time - but held out hope they'd get through it. No such luck. I think we are up to 18 dead now but I've lost track :hit

4. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Lillahimed

Lillahimed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    Did you notice any pattern to the deaths, such as a certain age more effected and so on?

6. familypendragon

Certain breeds - White leghorn mixes, Crested Cream Legbars, Isbars, Cochins and Bredas.

7. Lillahimed

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    hmmm strange. I wonder what causes this [​IMG] I have heard that the Isbars are pretty susceptible to disease.

8. familypendragon

And I have lost a lot more chicks under a month than I have older birds... ugh.

9. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Hugs

10. Lillahimed

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    Have you heard anything else on the necropsy results?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by