5th chick dying in my hands right now - help!

So chicks all still alive. But I just found a 2 1/2 month old White cochin cockerel hanging his head with one eye closed. On closer examination I felt that the side of his face was very hot and swollen inside. They are still on Tylan and Corid today. It could be that he got stung but I am guessing more likely its related to the wet pox. He has no visible signs of dry pox. I rubbed him down in VetRX in case it helps, gave him some colloidal silver, vit E an b12, and even a drop of benadryl. He looks miserable and his crop is empty. I have put him in the sick brooder in the hallway. I am just so scared that all the chicks in the house are going to get all this crud. Maybe I should try to carry the sick brooder outside?
I've had a couple pox patients start this way... swollen and/or infected eyes and sinuses for about a week and then small warts appear.

-Kathy

UGH! Well swollen face #1 is still hanging in there and looking a little better than the first day. Now I have my biggest roo - my giant Buff Orpington with one whole side of his head swollen and eye shut. It started yesterday. And this afternoon another chick was dead in the outside brooder.... *sigh* So sick of all this :(

UGH! Well swollen face #1 is still hanging in there and looking a little better than the first day. Now I have my biggest roo - my giant Buff Orpington with one whole side of his head swollen and eye shut. It started yesterday. And this afternoon another chick was dead in the outside brooder.... *sigh* So sick of all this
sad.png
Are you dealing with fowl pox? If so you can vaccinate the rest of your birds,vaccinating will provide immunity to some birds before the virus reaches them.

Most important to use separate utensils,bowls,wear gloves,change clothes,attend to non-infected chickens first,then attend to infected chickens. You are probably already aware of all of this,but the most important thing is to maintain strict control.

Last edited:
Yes, among possible other things. But both swollen faced chickens (only one side) just died. I am sending them and the last 2 chicks into Texas A&M for a necropsy :( I have already vaccinated, done Corid, done Tylan. Covering my bases.

Man, so sorry. What you and the birds are going though is awful. There is some lag time in the pox vaccine isn't there, some of the birds coming down with symptoms now could already have been infected before the vaccination, hopefully not a new problem?

Man, so sorry. What you and the birds are going though is awful. There is some lag time in the pox vaccine isn't there, some of the birds coming down with symptoms now could already have been infected before the vaccination, hopefully not a new problem?
The vet at the A & M said this did not sound related to pox. Having only one side swelling, then having respiratory distress. Both roos basically died in my arms gasping for air and then suffocating making horribly rasping, wheezing and gurgling sounds. It was horrible. And my 2 year old was there but luckily didn't understand what was really going on. All the birds are in bags in the fridge till I can get to town and get a styrofoam ice chest and ice packs to pack them in. Ugh, so done with all this sickness! :hit I just want to know what it is so maybe I can hurry and order the right vaccines to give all the newborn chicks I have in the house and soon arriving before they get the full blown whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom