5x8 coops say 20-25 chic, is this wrong ?

Quote:
Don't forget to add sufficient ventilation to that shed. Aim for 1 square foot of vent per chicken, high at the top of the walls.

For reference... I raised Silkies in 'city coops'. They were 4x4, and 4x8, and double floored (two levels). After using this setup for some time, I would not recommend any more than 6 bantam size birds, or 4 large fowl in setups such as these. The 'recommended' square footage per birds are based on production facilities, and I'll bet your birds are more pets than production birds. For a good quality of life, make sure they have AMPLE room. The small spaces load up with droppings and soiled shavings extremely quickly, and without adequate ventilation, you're facing some serious issues.

DSCF0388.jpg

Thx guys, I will add a lot of ventilation on top. I've found 8x12 shed that looks like that workshop shed at graigslist. They say it was a display shed and never been used for $950 but how will I get it to our backyard is the hard part now. I don't have a trailer or a pick-up truck. I'll have to ask around for some help.

I have the Amish 5X8 and I have 10 chickens. It is perfectly roomy for all of them with roosting space left over. I have a 20X20 fenced run with the coop inside. The coop does take up ground space in the run. Everything works great now. It has 8 nesting boxes and so far only 2 or 3 of them are used. I even have room for a small gardening bench I keep in there so I can sit inside when the weather is not good. I have made a sort of playground for them in the run to give them lots of things to roost on and hide under. I will keep working on their playground so they do not get bored.
OK, now the bad news............I ordered 8 more chicks for April delivery, (you all know how that goes!), and I know I am going to upset the apple cart. They are all bantams and 6 of my original chickens are bantams. A while back, I ordered a 4X4 as integration or isolation coop in case I needed it . It has as small pen attached to it but it will not afford the security of my big coop unless I put it into the totally enclosed pen. I am thinking that I may move it into the pen which will give them more coop space. It will not have electricity like the big coop but my chickens do not seem to mind the cold. In fact the ones that stay out the longest are my silkie couple and I though they needed to be kept warmer. The big coop stays at around 30 degrees with the aid of a flat panel heater.
Just thought I would let you know how things are working out for someone who owns the 5X8 coop you had mentioned. I do love it and it is very well made.

I appriciate it very much
smile.png
I would love to see pictures if you have. Do you think you can put their coop (5x8) outside their run and that they have an access to their run when they want to ? Then you can put your 4x4 inside of the run. Good luck with your new banthams.
I had 5 ducks and 2 chickens, 2 ducks passed away and now I have 22 chickens (including roosters) and 3 ducks. I know the chicken math isn't stabled, it keeps on adding and adding itself up
wink.png
What can we do, we love chickens right
smile.png
? But 25 is enough for me and I've promised myself I won't get any more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom