6:1 ratio instead of 5:1?

My pens vary from 2-4' in height. I haven't had a problem with any of them.
1620233578420.jpeg

The ratio depends on your male. My favorite male can keep 8 hens laying fertile eggs, but not all males are so “active”.

I had a coop/pen combo that had a pen that was very much like that. The easiest way to make that a cage is to just set it on the ground, don’t put them on wire. Put cinder blocks around the whole thing with the holes vertical. This will keep predators and rodents from digging in, and the quail from digging out. Then you can put wood chips, or leaves as bedding and just add more as they are soiled. When the bedding gets 3/4 of the way up the cinder blocks in depth, you rake it out, and start again at the bottom.

If you wanted to beef it up a little you could run an extra 1x2 or 2x2 board to help support the top or even the walls. Just measure and nail it to the boards already there. Just in case a raccoon, cat, or dog happen to climb on top or tried to push the side in. It'd help keep the wire from sagging or possible caving in.

If you wanted to beef it up a little you could run an extra 1x2 or 2x2 board to help support the top or even the walls. Just measure and nail it to the boards already there. Just in case a raccoon, cat, or dog happen to climb on top or tried to push the side in. It'd help keep the wire from sagging or possible caving in.
The pvc pen I’m currently replacing has a big sag in the middle from our 3 feet of snow. Now its tarp collects rain, I’m replacing it with a hard top diy pen.

The ratio depends on your male. My favorite male can keep 8 hens laying fertile eggs, but not all males are so “active”.

I had a coop/pen combo that had a pen that was very much like that. The easiest way to make that a cage is to just set it on the ground, don’t put them on wire. Put cinder blocks around the whole thing with the holes vertical. This will keep predators and rodents from digging in, and the quail from digging out. Then you can put wood chips, or leaves as bedding and just add more as they are soiled. When the bedding gets 3/4 of the way up the cinder blocks in depth, you rake it out, and start again at the bottom.
Unfortunately my chickens dig and dig and dig some more so even with cinders, between chickens and kids, I dont want to chance putting it on the ground. I ended up doing a double layer of wire on the bottom and ill dig some more long grass up tomorrow after the storms water them today.
The original pen i just took the window off so its now kind of a separate breeze way area they can walk through. The top and back of the new one have the rippled clear roofing for rain and then for winter I have 6 ply construction plastic I can wrap the majority of it in against anything major. I'm in zone 8 so snow doesn't happen often.

Attachments

• 20210505_141659.jpg
    20210505_141659.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210505_141559.jpg
    20210505_141559.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 3
Ohhh im curious, what plants do you have in your enclosure?
I move my pens around every couple of moths. During fall/winter they get my garden beds, and that was a leftover zucchini plant. They destroyed it, but that was completely expected. They get new greenery every time they move to a new location.

This picture was from a couple weeks ago. They're into their spring/summer moves around the weedy parts of my yard. They will kill all of the weeds for me.
1620239732206.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom