6.5 week chicks

hodor

Songster
Nov 6, 2015
Australia

This first one is Rock, no idea if it's a he/she. Did feather a little slower than the rest of the mixed flock. I'm leaning to roo.

This is duck my araucana (Australian) not sure how to sex him/her

Hannibal (Barnevelder) and Poppy (red Ancona) 99% sure they are roos, which I can't keep :-(

Barb (Barnevelder) and Nugget (black Ancona) I'm fairly certain both are pullets. I hope I'm right.

I love the crisper barring you all have on your Rocks than we usually get from hatchery stock here in the US. Your Rock is a pullet.

Your Aracauna looks like a pullet. From what I've seen, males usually have pink combs pretty darn early with that breed, and a triple row of peas.

Other than that, I think you're spot-on with your gender guesses. Sorry about your roosters, they're going to be beautiful birds.

Slow feathering and (at least to me) It seems like a lot of white in the barring makes me think the Plymouth is a boy, but the comb is really small.
I have never heard of or seen the Australian Araucana, so I am lost XD
If its your barnevelder to the far left in the first photo (third photo from the top) I would say roo, my girls have combs that size and they're around 7 months or so.
Which one is the Red Ancona? ^^ If its the little one with splashed white on it I would say female, as well with the Barnevelder in the bottom photo (4th down) Assuming its a different bird XD

Thanks. The red Ancona is the one at the back of the 3rd photo with the Barnevelder roo. It's comb is massive and red, I really like it, such a shame for me.

I believe the Australian araucana standard is different to the US. Not sure how, I just read it somewhere. Guessing they must be fairly similar.

This is my first flock so I'm kinda just rolling with it.

Slow feathering and (at least to me) It seems like a lot of white in the barring makes me think the Plymouth is a boy, but the comb is really small.
I have never heard of or seen the Australian Araucana, so I am lost XD
If its your barnevelder to the far left in the first photo (third photo from the top) I would say roo, my girls have combs that size and they're around 7 months or so.
Which one is the Red Ancona? ^^ If its the little one with splashed white on it I would say female, as well with the Barnevelder in the bottom photo (4th down) Assuming its a different bird XD
x2

Thanks. The red Ancona is the one at the back of the 3rd photo with the Barnevelder roo. It's comb is massive and red, I really like it, such a shame for me.

I believe the Australian araucana standard is different to the US. Not sure how, I just read it somewhere. Guessing they must be fairly similar.

This is my first flock so I'm kinda just rolling with it.
If I am honest I would say it looks like a Sultan (the white on in pictures 2 and 6) because at least here in the US, Araucana's have ear turfts and are rumpless! And this little cutie looks like its got a rump! Lol, and I would agree that the Ancona is a roo, sorry ^^

If I am honest I would say it looks like a Sultan (the white on in pictures 2 and 6) because at least here in the US, Araucana's have ear turfts and are rumpless! And this little cutie looks like its got a rump! Lol, and I would agree that the Ancona is a roo, sorry ^^
Aussie standard for Aracauna is different than the US standard. They have the same name, but don't look at all the same. Aussie birds are tailed and crested. Causes a lot of confusion at times
wink.png

Not a bad ratio for hatching eggs. Really wanted "Duck" and "Rock" to be girls as they have the best personalities. "Nugget" is the friendliest but I knew she was a she already.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know if any turn out to be different than expected.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom