6-7 week old pullets(I think) - behavior ?'s

earthy_chicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Is it normal for a couple of pullets to constantly challenge each other in this way? My SLW and buff Brahma try to raise their heads higher than the other and peck the other down. Their neck feathers fluff up and they dance around until the other retreats. So is this normal pullet behavior or could this be more indicative of a roo? And the second part of this question is that if there is a roo in the mix, will the roo always be the top dog at this age( 6-7 weeks) or can a hen be dominant over a roo? I need chicken advice:D!

Pullets establish pecking order among themselves as well as pecking order within a mixed flock. Yes, a hen can be dominant to a roo. The alpha hen in my flock decides if the rooster is allowed to mate--most of the time. Even when pecking order is established, it will be challenged from time to time. Even pullets can fight dirty.
Stephanie

Yep, I have a dirty fighting hen. The roo will not breed another hen when she's around because she will literally run over and knock him right off!
he.gif

As far as baby chicks, just because they are fighting doesn't mean they are roos. They start the pecking order at a young age no matter what the roo to hen ratio is.

Thanks for the info! I think we could have a section dedicated to those of us paranoid about having roos !
lol.png

Yes! I thought my little maran, Shortstock, was a rooster because of her crazy behavior. She gets into it with all the girls, but especially my Australorp, Agnes. They really peck, raise heads, puff up feathers and squawk! No blood drawn yet. My mom told me that if the pecking gets really bad, to put a red rag in with them and that they might attack that instead of each other. I haven't tried that yet. I'm just watching the show at the moment to see who will retain the title of ring leader.

Back
Top Bottom