1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6-7 weeks old Buff Orpington...Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunnyEggo, Apr 26, 2016.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You know I had two Buff Orps in my original flock, Ginger and Sunny, named because Ginger was darker and Sunny was, well, more sunny yellow than actual gold. Sunny was the last one to pass away of the original ten hens, at 6 1/2 years old, and the only one of all of those to ever go broody. The first time, I didn't even have a rooster-she'd only been laying a month, almost killed herself. Later, she hatched 2 Barred Rock chicks and was next to a grow out pen of 25 chicks I hatched in the incubator. She kept trying to get to them and eventually, I let her in with them. She raised all 27 chicks!

1 person likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope she is a pullet. Sounds like she is very nurturing.

3. scrambled please

scrambled please Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    It looks like a pullet, the comb color gets brighter as they get older. I don't see the "saddle" feathers or tail feathers.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At seven weeks, it's too young for saddle feathers. Male specific feathering does not usually begin to develop until about 10 weeks old. And it can be weeks later before those feathers are clearly visible.

5. SunnyEggo

SunnyEggo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Thanks! She's so friendly, loves cuddling with the little chickies.

6. SunnyEggo

Apr 25, 2016
    I will be keeping my eye out for those saddle feathers and hoping she doesn't get any..lol

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Love guessing....I'd say pullet, let us know is you get a crow or egg :) Love Orpingtons, they are so sweet!

8. SunnyEggo

Apr 25, 2016
    I sure will! They really are the sweetest, so glad I went with the orpingtons!

9. lclark

lclark 20 acres bliss

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    I would say pullet at this point. My BO roo had a red comb already by 4 weeks old and quite red/large wattles. Love the orpingtons! Have fun with yours!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just let us know what it is. The Orps are much more confusing than the Barred Rocks, that's for SURE! But, they are awesome birds. I've had hatchery and breeder quality stock, both Buffs and blue/black/splash, all wonderful. I have only one Orp left, an 8 year old Blue Orp hen.

A couple years ago, I folded after years of no hatchery birds, and got a Buff Orp from a feed store shipment from Mt. Healthy. She was okay but way too skinny for me after I'd had the huge, gorgeous breeder stock. Even at point of lay, she was just so small so I sold her as a layer to a friend, but nothing wrong with her, really, just had been spoiled I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by