6-7 weeks old Buff Orpington...Hen or Roo?

Thanks..I sure hope I wont see any then..lol

You know I had two Buff Orps in my original flock, Ginger and Sunny, named because Ginger was darker and Sunny was, well, more sunny yellow than actual gold. Sunny was the last one to pass away of the original ten hens, at 6 1/2 years old, and the only one of all of those to ever go broody. The first time, I didn't even have a rooster-she'd only been laying a month, almost killed herself. Later, she hatched 2 Barred Rock chicks and was next to a grow out pen of 25 chicks I hatched in the incubator. She kept trying to get to them and eventually, I let her in with them. She raised all 27 chicks!

It looks like a pullet, the comb color gets brighter as they get older. I don't see the "saddle" feathers or tail feathers.

I will be keeping my eye out for those saddle feathers and hoping she doesn't get any..lol

Just let us know what it is. The Orps are much more confusing than the Barred Rocks, that's for SURE! But, they are awesome birds. I've had hatchery and breeder quality stock, both Buffs and blue/black/splash, all wonderful. I have only one Orp left, an 8 year old Blue Orp hen.

A couple years ago, I folded after years of no hatchery birds, and got a Buff Orp from a feed store shipment from Mt. Healthy. She was okay but way too skinny for me after I'd had the huge, gorgeous breeder stock. Even at point of lay, she was just so small so I sold her as a layer to a friend, but nothing wrong with her, really, just had been spoiled I guess.

Back
Top Bottom