6/8 are roos! *UPDATE with PICS*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Magenta_Chick, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magenta_Chick

Magenta_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Georgia
    Talk about bad luck! It's looking like 6 out of my 8 Buff Orpingtons are roos! At 5 weeks old, 2 of them have super tiny yellow combs and no waddles showing, but the other 6 look just like this guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sorry, that is looking like a rooster...

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How old are they? That kinda looks like a pullet to me, but I'm certainly no expert [​IMG] my BOs combs got red pretty early, when they were still pretty small. But my rooster had a big 'ol comb compared to the girls. Id say don't give up hope on them- its comb looks pretty small.

4. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Let me just say one thing before you freak out!!! I had 2/3 Roos~ [​IMG] That's what we've been told anyways But in all seriousness I really "REALLY" think that this breed is very hard to tell for certain because the females also get large wattles and combs to. And some of the females may come in faster than others... granted some girls may not have them nearly as large or as bright but there are some girls with some big ones. I would really just be patient and watch how they grow. I would hope to think that your luck isn't that bad~ [​IMG] Just don't panic [​IMG] They could turn out to be beautiful girls! I went out and bought 3 more because if I do have 2 Roo's I needed more hens. So I have 3 more growing babies I am waiting to see what they turn out to be! Did you have any other pics? The buff's are really sweet though... it's a beautiful breed.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    At 5 weeks old that's a boy. Is that a blister on his cheek?

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Five weeks? Looks like a cockerel to me.

7. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I would wait and see because BO's seem very hard to tell gender. I have 4 and they got combs and small wattles early on and they are 10 weeks old and none are looking like roos, so I just think they are big chickens and grow fast.

8. Magenta_Chick

Magenta_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Georgia
    Here are some individual pictures. I'm thinking the ration might be 50/50 now

#1 Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    #2 Roo?
    [​IMG]
    #3 Roo?
    [​IMG]
    #4 Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    #5 Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    #6 Roo
    [​IMG]
    #7 Pullet?
    [​IMG]
    #8 Roo? Poor baby has a bloody comb [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the poor quality. DH doesnt know how to use my camera and didn't want to touch my babies

9. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Ahhh he/she has a bloody comb because another chick got a litttle to frisky... mine had a few marks but for the most part they behave. I still couldn't tell you whether they are pullets or roo's but my guess is as good as yours~ you'll get alot of roo guesses off of here based off of the red combs and wattle. But don't lose hope just wait and see!

10. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I'm thinking you're not quite as bad off as you at first thought. At worst 4/4, at best I'd say you're looking at 2 of 6.

I had straight run buffs last year, and there was a whole spectrum of comb development. It did end up that the 5 largest were boys and the 5 smallest were girls, but certainly the 4 right in the middle were hard to tell for a long time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by