6-8 week old chickes not roosting

We have electricity running out to the coop Incase we need a heat lamp in the winter. So we have the capability of putting a light if needed. We have 13 girls so placing them all up on the roost at night could be difficult. Is 20 inches and 36 inches too high for the roosts? Should I add another one lower? I’ve seven a couple jump up there just never in the evening. I didn’t want to put them any lower because I still wanted them to be able to walk underneath it during the day for more space.

They will learn. Mine were slow and I had to put them up and lock them down every night at that age. Now they all get up there by themself

So lighting isn’t a problem? I think that’s the consensus. Just be patient and time. I don’t think all 13 of them will fit on the lower roost. Might have to put some on the higher one. Will they be fine getting down without injuring themselves? Google provides a ton of information which is a good thing but it also can make someone like me who had never raised chickens before a little paranoid lol

When moving younger chickens out to the coop, it can take a bit of time for them to begin roosting, unless there is an older bird that teaches them. Even then, it can take a little time.

Even birds that are used to roosting, when moving them into a new coop, it can take a day, or two for them to feel comfortable, and get used to their new digs.

What size are the roosts? 2 x 4's work great, when the 4 inch side is what they roost on. How high up are they? It's best if they are not over a foot high, on the lowest roost. This helps with bumblefoot as well.

When moving younger chickens out to the coop, it can take a bit of time for them to begin roosting, unless there is an older bird that teaches them. Even then, it can take a little time.

Even birds that are used to roosting, when moving them into a new coop, it can take a day, or two for them to feel comfortable, and get used to their new digs.

What size are the roosts? 2 x 4's work great, when the 4 inch side is what they roost on. How high up are they? It's best if they are not over a foot high, on the lowest roost. This helps with bumblefoot as well.
Ok, so maybe I should add a lower one? I have one at 20 inches and one at 36 inches. They are 1 inch bars I believe. But they are square not circular. I didn’t put one lower than 20
Because I still wanted them to be able to
Go
Underneath it for space if they wanted to. But maybe they can just walk over it? What height do you suggest. They have been out there for a week or 2 and no luck yet.

I always have to actually put them on the roost when it gets dark usually takes a few nights of that. This year just a few days ago my new bunch this year just took one night of setting them on the roost. I went back the second night to shut them in the coop and put them to roost but they were already on it.

My coop has no power, just a window. My roost bars are 12 inches off the floor and the floor is either 3 or 4 feet off the ground. My coop is outside the run tho.

I would suggest replacing the 1 inch, with 2 x 4's. No higher than 12 inches for the lowest roost, if they're standard sized chickens. 10 inches off the ground is NOT too low. The next roost should be offset, and about 8 - 10 inches higher than the first.

Lighting is an issue if it's dark in there. Add a night light if you can. It only needs to be on long enough for them to get settled, not all night. I also think they are a bit young. Young birds tend to prefer to huddle. I don't start training mine to roost until about 12 weeks, but that is just me. I do go out about dusk and put them on the roosts for a night or two and that's usually all it takes. Good luck and enjoy your birds!

Back
Top Bottom