6 hens 1 rooster?

Gspsaku

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2018
I am somewhat new to keeping chickenS, especially American/Euro breed. My question pertains to my small flock. I just acquired 6 Buff Orp pullets/hens and a 3 year old Buff Orp rooster. I want my hens to raise their own chicks and was wondering if 1 rooster is enough to breed with 6 hens or would I need an additional rooster? Thank you all so much

A rooster can cover between eight and twenty hens, depending on age, breed, and attitude. If you get two, your hens will just be overbred and will lose many of the feathers on their backs. For that reason, it's often best to have only one rooster per flock at a time.

EDT: Okay, as @1cock2hens pointed out below, this is way too absolute. You can keep a flock with as much as a 50/50 ratio, and I do with my bantams. But whether you can depends on circumstances and flock temperament and breed.

Last edited:
If you get two, your hens will just be overbred and will lose many of the feathers on their backs.

if you get two, your hens might just be overbred and could lose many of the feathers on their back // it's not a definite 100% given, I have 3 roosters with 5 hens, no fighting, no overbreeding. my gimp rooster doesnt get any lady attention, my young rooster has 2 ladies he follows around and My buff orpington rooster has his 3 ladies.

11798B0D-C96D-4940-A820-EF74A8536B90.png
yes everyone on here will agree that 6 hens will have no problem being covered by one good rooster
Ps, I believe this to be a BO rooster based on my exceptional Google skills but was told by the owner it is a Golden buff (Comet cross). Can you confirm this? AAlso based on the length of the spur, would about 3 years old be correct?

Back
Top Bottom