6 hens, all 2 years old, stopped laying

Wifeygirl

Chirping
Jul 2, 2019
Sarasota Florida USA
I have 6 hens! I would have 4 or more eggs a day since they were about 6 months old. In the last 3 months all but 1 stopped laying. Now in the last 3 weeks even the last one stopped laying. I'm in central Florida so the weather hasn't changed much (imagine that LOL). Their feed hasn't changed. Their scratch hasn't changed. In general, their lifestyle hasn't changed at all. Thoughts? Yes, I have searched every nook and cranny of the yard for a hidden stash :)

Are they molting?
Do you have any predators that you have noticed being around? Mine will stop for some time if the bobcat, bear, coyotes, or cougar get too close to the property line and then start laying again when the predators move on.

I've only had 1 molt. That was about 4 months ago. There aren't many predators in my neighborhood. Whenever there might be an opossum walking across the top of the fence my 120lb Rottweiler makes quick play toy out of it. We've NEVER had even a small "situation" to handle.

It's not the cold, it's the lighting, that is necessary for egg production. Fourteen to sixteen hours of light daily, for the hen to 'want' to stay in production. here we have a small light on a timer from 3am to 7am every morning, from mid-September into March or April. We still don't get as many eggs as during the summer, but we do get eggs all winter. Your birds likely won't lay as many eggs as they did last year, being older too.
Mary

since they were about 6 months old.
How old are they now, in months?

It's the short days, not the weather.
They may all be molting but so slowly you don't see a bunch of feathers all over the place.

Yes, I have searched every nook and cranny of the yard for a hidden stash
Might have to confine them, after an exam to see.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom