6 inch copperhead

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
I just watched Tarasita the Barred Rock swallow a whole 6" baby copperhead !!!

Several chooks gathered in a circle drew my attention. A scuffle ensued, Tarasita took off with the prize, and after pecking it to death, commenced to swallowing the serpent !

I clearly saw the victim.

Should I be concerned ? I've seen them eat lizards, but a venomous snake ?

Do copperheads that small/young even have venom?
So googled....they actually are more venomous than adults

Yes they do, and although not "more" venomous, (from what I gather) They lack the restraint to meter out the juice when striking, and dump the full load, as opposed to an adult who will (can) deliver smaller doses, and even dry bite.

All three of my dogs Juju, Roobee and Gomer, have been bitten at least once each, with Gomer being hit twice, that I know of. I keep several doses of Benadryl, to be chewed up by me, and spit into the dogs mouth immediately, along with antibiotic (Amoxicillin) and pain meds (Tramadol) prescribed by my vet for real time at home treatment.

Yeah, there is that many copperheads around my property !!! In fact, if you look up copperhead in the encyclopedia, there is a picture of my house !!! ;)

I also carry, on my person at all times, a snake bit kit in case I get bit. It contains Benadryl, and a controversial low voltage stun gun made just for such a situation. Although not approved for use in the US, there is much evidence in many countries as to it's effectiveness.

Back
Top Bottom