6 lbs of oranges...need recipe ideas!

Parson's Wife

Blessed Abundantly
15 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Arkansas
frow.gif

Hello,
My husband, who buys MASS quantities when something is on sale purchased 6 lbs of oranges...(3lbs/$1) now I've had these sitting for 3 days...Not one has been touched....(we love fruit...just eating other fruit right now)
ANY Recipe Ideas for oranges?
hu.gif

Please let me know....I hate to see food ruin. (Our church folk hit the same sale...so they are full too)

dont forget to zest them before you use them, you can freeze it to use in ice cream, cream pies, fish or chicken. How about an orange granita? Like flavored ice. I have a recipe from a Fanny Farmer baking book that uses whole slices for a pie, if i can find it after bed time I will post it.

If you like a really spicy hot BBQ sauce that is EXCELLENT for pork and chicken (think hot wings and baby backs), I have a recipe that would use a bunch of them. I can't get it to you until I get home, though. I should be there in less than an hour. Let me know.

Here's the BBQ sauce recipe: it is really good and makes the whole house smell good while cooking down.

6 oz. yellow mustard
2 oz. ketchup
1 c each apple cider vinegar and water
6 oz. (or larger) bottle Louisiana Style hot sauce
6 oz. honey
1 c brown sugar
3 oranges, sliced, peel and all
crushed red chilies to taste (optional)

Put all ingredients except oranges in blender, and blend until well combined. Transfer to pan, add oranges, and simmer uncovered until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. It takes a while.
We usually double the recipe, cook it down, and can it in pints. Process it for 15 min. in a boiling water bath.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is what i found on food network, I have seen it made but never made it myself. This recipe calls for orange liquor in addition to the juice but you could probably use an extract or flavoring instead.

6 oranges
4 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
Sugar, to taste
3 sprigs basil
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)

Clean and wash the oranges. Cut off the top 1/4 of the oranges and shave a small slice off the bottom so it stands easily.
Using a grapefruit knife, cut out the flesh of the oranges and place in a strainer set over a bowl. Be careful not to cut through the bottom. Stand the oranges on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer and freeze until solid.

Press the flesh of the oranges through the strainer to extract all of the juice. You should end up with about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of orange juice. Add the extra 4 cups orange juice. Stir in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is of desired sweetness. Add the basil and orange-flavored liqueur and let sit for 15 minutes.

Strain the mixture into a roasting pan or baking dish. The dish should be large enough so the liquid is not more than 1-inch deep. Freeze the mixture for 1 hour. Remove from the freezer and scrape with 2 forks to break up ice. Return to the freezer and freeze until solid, about 2 to 3 hours, scraping with forks every hour or so.

When the granite is frozen, scoop it into the orange shells and serve immediately.

Back
Top Bottom