6 month old pullers not laying yet

stormrobin

Songster
7 Years
Mar 1, 2017
Idaho
i have 7 pullets that have not started laying yet and all of them are 6 months old. Two Delawares, two welsummers, a red ranger, and three salmon faverolles. Should they be starting soon? The two Delaware’s and the ranger have very red combs and have for a little while so I figured they should be laying real soon if not already. The salmons and welsummers are just turning pink so I figured I could have a bit on them. Is this all normal?

Sounds pretty normal they should be laying in no time, the ones with bright red Combs will be sooner than later especially coming into spring/summertime as they need the additional light to lay

Sounds pretty normal they should be laying in no time, the ones with bright red Combs will be sooner than later especially coming into spring/summertime as they need the additional light to lay

Thank you. This was my first set of fall chicks so didn’t know if they should act like my spring ones or if it can take a little longer to start where we are just coming out of winter.

i have 7 pullets that have not started laying yet and all of them are 6 months old. Two Delawares, two welsummers, a red ranger, and three salmon faverolles. Should they be starting soon? The two Delaware’s and the ranger have very red combs and have for a little while so I figured they should be laying real soon if not already. The salmons and welsummers are just turning pink so I figured I could have a bit on them. Is this all normal?
Do you free range?
If so, you might need to confine them to learn to use the coop nests.

Here's how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I had two of my first chicks take nine months to lay (an Australorp and Rhode Island red)... they "came of age" in the middle of winter so I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

The reddening of combs and wattles was definitely a precursor. Also when they start submitting (squatting) to you (or a roo if you have one) each of our girls started laying 1-2 weeks after they started that behavior.

did you get the red ranger to butcher? or are you breeding her? She's not going to lay much.

I actually had 75 red rangers for butch but decided to keep a few to see what they would do egg wise and to possibly breed my own butcher birds so I have a couple roosters in another pen with some other red ranger hens. All the same age but the ones in the other pen already started laying. Actually so far not too bad of layers. Out of five hens I’m getting 3-4 eggs a day and decent sized too. Lol so I guess we will see if they keep it up or not. :)

Back
Top Bottom